Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Painting the Town

It's been warmer lately. They call it "Indian Summer." I was thankful there wasn't rain last Saturday, and grateful for the breeze as I joined thousands of other volunteers across the city in NY Cares Day.

I was assigned to a school in Brooklyn. I followed the directions and took the subway lines suggested, and I was surprised and delighted to find it was in a nice neighborhood. Although I was disappointed that we weren't painting anything as interesting as a mural, it was a beautiful day to spend outside, and I enjoyed talking to the other volunteers.





We scraped and painted the black iron fence around the building. Although you can't tell much by these pictures, it made a big difference in the appearance of the school. The assistant principal was on hand to thank us and feed us pizza for lunch.

And I made a new friend. :-) She's originally from Mexico, and she's sending me information about a cultural event next week celebrating the Day of the Dead. She told me there would be authentic Mexican food. Mmmm...
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Good for you! I hope you get some yummy mole at that feast.

ColeBugsmommy said...

You are such an amazing person. What an interesting life you are leading.

Unknown said...

yeah em!