Thursday, October 04, 2007

Just Another Day in NYC

I'm a little down today. Could be hormones. Could be that I'm in a lot of pain (my hip and back have been bothering me from the scoliosis...the chiropractor I found up here is not as good as the one I left in Dallas). I found myself a little claustrophobic this morning with the crowds in the subway and on the street walking to work. I thought of my uncle Lee's comment last week and all the wide open space they enjoy in Texas.

I find myself so jealous of other people and their social lives, even the small things you take for granted like having someone to eat meals with.

I continue to throw myself out there in attempts to make friends. Last night, I volunteered at a transitional housing unit, reading books and doing crafts with kids. A girl of 10 chose me, and she was a very good reader. She told me all about her family -- she kept interrupting her reading to talk to me -- and we had a good time painting pumpkin cut-outs.

I have been counting two things in my time here in NY: rat sightings and celebrity sightings. I'm currently at 4 rats, 2 celebs. The rats are gross but somehow fascinating to me, and the celebrity sightings always give me a thrill. (The first was Mario Cantone, second was Danny Devito)

7 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I am sorry you are down. Sometimes its lonelier in a sea of people - I remember from college. Glad you'll get some relief this weekend!

Cher Ping said...

Hi Emily,

Just found your blog, and thought to leave a greeting.

I'm terribly sorry to read that you are doing well in the social area. I've been living alone in germany (first for my masters then for work) since 2001 and it has always been abit tough.

Things got worse when I started working - most of my friends are still kids (early 20s) doing their undergrad courses, for goodness sakes, and their concept of life were restricted to "what movie shall we watch", "my goodness! exams!" (and other things along that line)

Give yourself time. You'll eventually make new friends, etc.

John

Anonymous said...

Hey Em,

I am sorry to hear this. I know that loneliness often is hard.

Still I know that you are a very warm, positive and sympathetic young woman. I am sure that you will not accept the fact that something is trying to get you down! For sure I know that you will find your way with or without somebody in the big city or elsewhere! I am with you in my thoughts....

x and hugs from someone somewhere in Europe...

paula said...

Em, sorry to hear that you are fed up at the moment, we think of you all the time and are sending you lots and lots of love and hugs. Have a great time this weekend. XXXXX

grandad says said...

We have a room in Houston

Unknown said...

can you book your holiday flights now? maybe having it on the calendar will help? love you so much and hate that you are bummed. have fun in big D

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I live in the city and I just found your blog.

I reviewed some of your blog experiences. You should be thankful for what you have, you seem to complain too often when you should be expressing thanks.

Life is not always what you want, when you want it. Pardon my next sentence but you appear to be somewhat of a spoiled brat.

Try to show appriciation for what you have or what others have done for you and you will get the same in return.

Good luck.

Sheila J.