Monday, October 15, 2007

Focusing on Me

After my visit to Dallas a couple weekends ago, I realized that just as life has gone on for my friends there, I must move on with my life here and not spend as much time pining away for what I left in Dallas. I still miss them, but I decided that I can either focus on grieving or I can focus on what's my new reality.

I had a busy weekend. I went shopping on Saturday. The stores here are having boot sales, and after wearing my favorite black ankle-boots on Thursday in a downpour, I discovered the right shoe was no longer waterproof. I also had another pair of ankle-boots (in brown) that are quite shabby and need retiring, and I found great deals on some comfortable new pairs.

I also went to the farmer's market at Union Square. It's great, bustling with people and lots of fresh fruits and veggies. There's also a local winery (I haven't yet tried it) and honey, jam, cheese and farm-fresh lamb!

My big excursion this weekend, though, was with a new friend - L. My boss casually mentioned a few weeks ago that one of his old colleagues -- also a single thirty-something -- had moved to the City when I did and was also finding it hard to make friends. I insisted he introduce us right away! We hit it off, and we actually have quite a bit in common, not the least of which is being new to NYC. L and I met an acquaintance of hers and had a nice Italian dinner, followed by bar-hopping in a somewhat gay neighborhood with a gay friend of hers. There was lots of laughter and a good time was had by all.

L and I also spontaneously stopped in to a neighborhood psychic and had our palms read! It was interesting. I was told that I need to focus my energies on me right now, that I'm a little too scattered. :-) There was also the hope of a "soul mate" maybe next year and the possibility of two kids. I was also told I will have a long life and die of natural causes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej Em ('Hej' is swedish for hi :))

There u go!..I am sure that life will have a very nice surprise for you in the near future... ;)

xxx from sweden

Unknown said...

oh to live a long life and die of natural causes -- is there anything more desirable? Leaves plenty of time to overcome wrong turns in the maze of life and to enjoy the fruits of a life well lived! - Gandhi in Houston ha ha ha ha

Vetmommy said...

Nothing like a nice pair of new shoes to cheer a girl up! I am glad you have a new attitude and new friends. A good laugh is what you needed. The farmers' market sounds great! And the psychic's prediction - everything sounds good!

Unknown said...

Sounds like an awesome day: shoes AND hearing you're not imminently about to shuffle off the mortal coil. Winner!

Anonymous said...

You need to focus on just you. Forget soulmates (for now), palm readers and the life you left behind in Dallas. You made a change to move to N.Y. for all the right reasons, now embrace those reasons and get on with your life. Your time in the city has been very brief and you have done so much since arriving, do not loose sight of that fact. Everything will work out with time, care and determination.

I could say more but I believe you get the point.