Thursday, October 18, 2007

Actor, Screenwriter & Director

So last night I met Ben Affleck. Ok, maybe that's overstating it. I attended a NY Times Talk event watching him be interviewed on stage by a overzealous journalist. But I was in the second row, and it was awesome.

The journalist was, as my colleague described, "prickly" to say the least. She hammered him on mistakes he's made in his career, how he might have learned from choosing those kinds of projects and how he's grown after being a "Kick Me" target by the media.

Ben was a really good sport, and he was quite funny. He never got ruffled by her questions, although sometimes he tried so hard to be politically correct in choosing his words, he got a bit tongue tied.

He was most eloquent when speaking about his new project, Gone Baby Gone, in which he wrote the screenplay based on a novel and directed. He was obviously more comfortable talking about his work rather than himself.


I was impressed. He seems like an intelligent guy, a normal guy, and his new movie definitely piqued my interest.

These types of events are so common in NY and make me really glad I can take advantage of them!

No comments: