Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Ultimate in Selective Listening

Why do cats selectively understand what you're saying? It's freezing outside today (literally, it's been raining and sleeting and is below the freezing point), and my cat is sitting by the sliding glass door, meowing to be let out. I even opened the door wide enough for her to get out, and she could tell it was too cold. She didn't go through the open door, so after 30 seconds or so, I shut it.

That was only 10-15 minutes ago. It's not any warmer now, I promise!

Sabrina is 12, and she really does understand some human phrases, such as:
Want a treat?
Wanna go outside?
Don't even think about it!
Ready for bed?

I love her dearly, but today, since I'm working from home because of the inclement weather and the incompetent driving ability of most Texans, she's driving me crazy!

Ok, I give up. I'm letting her out so she can experience this cold for herself. I know she'll just come back in and complain to me (more meowing), apparently believing that I control the weather.

(She went out...lasted about 1.5 minutes.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Proves dogs are smarter! When its cold
Patchie only goes out when absolutely necessary. AND she can do her business on tip toes.

Vetmommy said...

Claudio went out 1.5 minutes, too, and then stopped asking. He has been SUCH a lap cat this cold day.

Anonymous said...

We have three of them at it all day long, it's been sooo cold here below freezing most days and the only one that ventures outside is the youngest/bravest one Mickey, he goes out for a couple of minutes and then sits howling outside the back door waiting to come in, then sits sulking all day long. The other two sit looking mournfully out the window and then play "let's stalk each other" all over the house - not at all irritating!!

Unknown said...

Ah, cats. Will only listen when it suits them, and even then pretend that they've been right all along... No wonder people say they're more like women!

Vetmommy said...

Claudio update- he went out for about 3 seconds today, long enough to stand with his little toes on the cold patio, turn around, and come back in. Brrrrr.