Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Trip into the Past

One of the things Dallas is most known for, and the most shameful, is being the location for President John F. Kennedy's assassination. While I have driven past "the grassy knoll" on several occassions, I haven't visited the 6th Floor Museum at the Book Repository or taken the tour, until Monday night.

One of my clients was in town from Pittsburgh, and our evening activity was the tour. The museum is very well done, with many visuals, artifacts from the time period, audio and video. You can walk through at your own pace and experience any and all of these.

What I took away from the exhibit was a real sense of the sadness felt by the country and around the world when Kennedy's life was ended in such an unexpected and early time. The museum did a nice job of capturing that time in history -- the segregation, the Civil Rights movement, the fear of communism -- and Kennedy's idealism. I wish we had more of the sense of personal responsibility that he instilled in the generation of young people at that time: "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happened on Friday and it was an incredibly sad week end.

Anonymous said...

I will NEVER forget that day!!I was preparing the meal and came out of the kitchen when I heard it on T.V. I admit I cried..but I will say this,Emily... Dallas doesn't hold sad memories for me because I came to America for the first time and came to Dallas where you all lived and saw the big shopping malls (for the first time) NOW we have them in England too :o)yes I will remember Dallas with fondness..x