Thursday, October 27, 2005

Fiesta

Last Saturday afternoon, Daniel invited me to join him at his cousin's daughter's 1st birthday party. He said I just HAD to experience a Mexican birthday party. I enjoy learning about other cultures and I LOVE Mexican food, so I agreed to go.

Daniel said it started at 4:00, but then told me not to get there before 4:30. Good to know. He explained later that "it's a Mexican thing" and it is considered rude if you arrive on time, even to a wedding!

We actually arrived closer to 5:00, and they were still setting everything up. In the backyard, they had a bouncy house for the kids and several tables set up with balloons and baby angel figurines. There was a keg in the corner of the yard, and after another hour or so, they set up the food: chicken mole, some pork dish, rice and beans. There were also fresh corn tortillas and salsa. When I reached for the salsa, Daniel's aunt asked quickly in Spanish if I like spicy food. (She was concerned about me.) Daniel translated for me, and I told her "Me gusta!" Almost everyone was speaking strictly Spanish, so I got to practice my few phrases. Daniel kept chuckling at how "cute" my accent is.

The birthday girl was dressed all in white and looked like a little princess. Of course, at one year, she could care less about all the fuss going on around her.

I left around 7:00, but Daniel said the party would continue late into the night. It was very laid back, and everyone was very welcoming. I asked Daniel to join me as I host my family for Thanksgiving, so I can return the favor and show him a traditional American holiday.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great party!! So, can't wait to hear how your Thanksgiving Dinner goes - just for the record, I'm hosting the Amazing Annual Downward Event which means it's me cooking Xmas dinner for the family again XX

Anonymous said...

WOW! That would be really awesome to experience a party like that! I'm just in Spanish 1 this year....and I know I'd be TOTALLY overwhelmed with everyone talkin' so fluently around me! Glad you had a wonderful time!

Love-Bevie-

P.S. mmmmmmm, that FRESH salsa sounds muy,muy,muy delicioso
(just testing out my spanish..and now you see why I wouldn't do well at a party like you attended)!m

Anonymous said...

OOooo,can we all come,Paula? I love your Blog, Emily..can we have more pictures please,? :o) xx

Anonymous said...

Trust me Aunty Norma, You're safer staying in Weaverham!!! Unless of course, you have a strange addiction to indigestion remedies that you haven't shared with us!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Paula! I have a lead lining on my tummy so are we invited? :o) Wouldn't mind going to a Party like the one Emily went to,though...you coming? xx

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, grab yer coat we're off!!! X