Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Stepping Out of the Box

A couple weeks ago, I went to a happy hour for one of my company's VPs that is retiring. Not that he's old (everyone at my company is pretty young), but he and his partner have saved enough money to travel the world and not work for an indefinite period of time. Very nice.

Yes, I said his "partner." He's gay, so the happy hour was at a gay bar in the gay district of Dallas. I hadn't been there before, and I definitely wanted to say goodbye to Dave.

The most eye-popping thing was the shot guys! Out of the corner of my eye I saw flesh...a topless guy walking by with a tray of shots. Nice bod, but obviously gay.

Dave and his partner Don introduced me to a friend of theirs named Daniel. He's a sweet, innocent guy from Mexico, here to study at university. He had recently turned 21, (God, I feel old!) and we just hit it off. We exchanged phone numbers before I left because he said he'd go dancing with me, even if it was at a "straight club."

Daniel called me on Friday and asked me to join him and his cousin, who was celebrating her birthday. I paused when he told me where...2009. A club that was (in the 90s) known as 2001 and was an incredible country and western bar. I used to frequent it with my roommate Lauren, and actually met my second ex-husband there. Now, it is a Tejano bar, the huge parking lot packed to the brim each night with pickups and hoopties.

Telling myself I should be more adventurous and more accepting of others, I agreed to meet Daniel. I swear I was the only white face there, and I felt like I was glowing in the near-dark of the bar. Daniel's cousin, celebrating her 19th birthday, (oh, yeah, I'm old), went off dancing with her boyfriend, so I quickly saw why Daniel was oh so happy to have me for company. The music was like a German oom-pah song, and everyone on the dance floor was bouncing up and down to the tune. It was difficult to keep a straight face!

Daniel told me, "I hate this place. I never would have agreed to come here except it's my cousin's birthday. I hate all these Mexicans."
I said, "Daniel! You can't say that! YOU're Mexican."
"Yes, but this is a different class, you know? This is ghetto," he said with a laugh.

So I went to a ghetto Mexican club with a gay 21-year-old this weekend. Now I can cross THAT off my list!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one made me laugh out loud! I can just imagine the look on your face at 2009! Glad you can now cross this one off your list. :) M

Vetmommy said...

That's really funny - guess Daniel asked you so you guys could both be on the outside looking in.

What's a hooptie?

Unknown said...

Now I've got the image of all those oompahing Mexican's in my head. Too funny Em. You are such a sport. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO out there, where is the man who sees how amazing you are for all the little things like this? Going out on a limb with this guy, that was really steppin out, Em. Bev and I read it together on my computer tonight. We also made sure you get your b-day pressie at the office Friday....hmmm....keep an eye out for a package...the kind you CAN unwrap! hee hee