Monday, March 28, 2005

Why I love the single life

I had a great weekend at my sister's house, visiting with her, my brother-in-law and the twins Paige and Graham, who are 21 months old. But the great thing about being an aunt is that you get to have fun without the responsibility! At times, I really envy what my sisters have, but other times, I'm so glad I get to return to my quiet single life.

Paige had diarrhea on Saturday, and it leaked out of her diaper while she was sitting on my lap. I had poop juice on my shirt. I tried to remain calm, but inside I was freaking out.

This morning, sweet Paigie climbed up into my lap again to sample my breakfast, (the first time she reached for me). She helped herself to my toast, which she promptly choked on, and I somehow managed to catch the bolus of food as it was coming back out. This is in spite of the fact that I had been pretty grossed out the night before watching my sister catch Paige's vomit in her cupped hand. (And then she analyzed it! She even asked me what I thought the white clumps might be. We determined it was probably curdled milk. Ick.)

Graham was also throwing up with the assistance of Mireya, the nanny. She was leaning him over the kitchen sink. Then he'd happily turn around ask request "Mo" of the toast he'd been eating. He did this at least three times. Eat, barf, eat, barf, eat, barf. As gross as it was, I was impressed he wasn't turned off from eating!

I did get lots of sweet moments with them, though. Sweet hugs and kisses, reading books with a little one on my lap, and lots of giggles. I guess that's what makes it all worth it.

No comments: