Sunday, January 07, 2007

What's Been Happening

Okay, okay...I know I've been out of commission for awhile. Sorry. Here's what happened while I wasn't blogging:

We spent Christmas in Houston with my parents, Stephanie, Al and the twins. Steve was sad to not be with his kids, and his ex continues to make things difficult.

The Saturday before New Year's, we had two couples over for a nice lamb dinner and great wine. New Year's Eve itself was spent quietly at home. Neither one of us felt 100% due to a cold.

Work has started back with a bang. It seems that all my clients want to have meetings the first two weeks of January to get new projects kicked off. Unfortunately, I still have too many accounts and can't be everywhere at once! I went to NYC last Wednesday through Friday while my new employee Scott handled another client in Dallas. Tomorrow, he's headed to Cincinnati for another one, while I go to Philly for a new client meeting. I'm trying to think positively: at least I get to keep all my frequent flier miles!

While I was in NY, I couldn't get internet access! It was very frustrating because in addition to blogging, I really needed to get some work email. I finally was able to purchase a day pass at LaGuardia airport and download my email while standing by for an earlier flight. My computer was low on battery, so I plugged in to an available outlet and sat down on the floor to work. Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do...

Friday night, when I got back from NY (fortunately on that earlier flight, but unfortunately stuck in a middle seat between two big men for 3.5 hours), Steve and I met at a sushi restaurant for a nice dinner. Just as we were finishing, Steve had a strange episode. I'm still not sure exactly how to describe it. He said it felt like a wave coming over him from the bottom half of his body up. For a brief moment, he couldn't swallow, move or think. Then he got very flushed followed by very pale. We were close to an Emergency Room and took him there. On the way, he started to shake uncontrollably. The only thing different in his life lately has been a new medication he started on the 1st. It's an antifungal for a persistent skin infection he has on his back and legs.

After a CT scan of his head and an EKG, several blood tests and a brief neurological exam, they ruled out anything major. Steve had those shakes on and off for the first hour or so we were there. They gave him Atavan for the anxiety he was feeling, and that helped to calm him down.

Although they weren't able to give us a definitive answer to why his body was doing what it was, they were able to tell us it wasn't his heart or anything neurological. That was some relief. They are assuming it was a bad reaction to the antifungal medicine. We were discharged around midnight.

Today he's feeling better, and he plans to go to his doctor tomorrow. I'm just thankful I was here with him. He said it was my "wifely duty" to be there with him, and I reminded him there's no ring on this finger (pointing to my left hand)!

Yesterday, my grandmother called, saying she and my great aunt Sudie had gotten a ride with some volunteer group to Dallas and were coming to see their sister, my great aunt Bess, who lives in a nursing home here. I went and spent a couple hours with them, sharing pictures from my computer of Christmas and all my nieces and nephews.

Today, I have to finish taking down my Christmas decorations, do laundry, read my email (202 unread at this point), run some errands, and have dinner with my best friend and her family. Oh, and Steve would like to go see a movie.

I'm so tired, I barely dragged myself out of bed this morning at 10:30!

7 comments:

paula said...

I still haven't blogged since well before Xmas Em so you can rest easy that you are never as bad as me at updating!! Sorry to hear that Steve had that scary sounding episode, hope he is ok. Made me smile that you mentioned the lack of ring, here's hoping that the message gets through (but only if you want it to). Sounds manic at work, at least you have someone else to share the load with now, hope you are saving up the air miles for a trip to Blighty with your man. XXXXX

Emily said...

Thanks, Paula. What's "Blighty?"

Vetmommy said...

I am so sorry to hear about Steve. Good thing it happened when you were there to care for him, ring or not! Take care of yourselves.

Unknown said...

Oof, that episode sounds scary. I hope it was just a one-time thing.

Anonymous said...

Emily first of all thank you for the Xmas card/photo...it's a lovely one...now this weird feeling of Steve's...Doctor Norma is here never fear...in England (Blighty).. we call it 'Nerves'...one episode I can describe to you is that a long time ago..your Nan Emily came to see us and I cooked a lovely lamb dinner with all the trimmings..she used to enjoy her food as you all know..all of a sudden she just sat there stiffly...I asked 'Wassup,Mum?' she said after a few seconds "Oo,Norm,I cannot eat this lovely dinner'..I told her to relax and after a short time listening to me and the kids talking normally she was able to eat the meal! A few people I know have experienced the same thing so although I don't know Steve I would say he had a moment of 'Nerves' ...I don't mean to say I know better than the 'real' Doctors hahaha but am I correct in thinking he is a bit of a worrier? and one more thing what is his Birth sign,Em .? xx

paula said...

"Blighty" is a lovely old fashioned word for England.

Anonymous said...

'Blighty' was used in the second World War,Em..I also remember a song that went like this "I'm going to hang out my washing on the Siegfried line have you any dirty washing ,Mother Dear?" ..lots of Soldier songs about 'Dear old Blighty', I bet Uncle Ken knows 'em all..xx