Monday, July 25, 2005

Online dating sucks, but at least I'm meeting people

Although some people have told me I'm too picky, I don't take offense to it. I haven't been picky enough in the past, and now I know what I want and don't want to settle for less than I deserve.

I met someone this weekend that I've been emailing and talking to for a few weeks. He found me through my profile on Match.com. I've enjoyed talking to him. He seems like a gentleman and was reasonably attractive. But there's just no way of knowing until you meet someone in person.

It's still amazing to me how people can look so different from their pictures. I think it's the 2-D versus 3-D effect. When you meet someone in person and then later see a picture of them, your brain automatically makes the connection. However, done in reverse -- seeing a picture of someone and then meeting them in person -- is not always so instantly recognizable. When you see a picture of someone for the first time, your brain fills in the 3-D details -- for example, how much their cheeks or chins protrude from their face. Then you see them in person, and you have to adjust your mental image to the actual.

This guy, Ed, didn't look too different from his photos except for the fact that his cheekbones were more sunken then I had imagined. It just kinda throws you for a while.

The meeting was ok, but I don't think I'll see him again. He talked 80% of the time, hardly giving me a chance to interject anything into the conversation. But the final straw was his admitting that he doesn't watch the news or read newspapers because it doesn't affect his life. I kept thinking about all the terrorist activities that are occurring in London, Madrid and elsewhere...how could you not think your life could be affected? It's already happened in New York and Oklahoma City. It's amazing to me that someone could be so short-sighted and egocentric.

I've tried dating services, church singles groups, getting set up by friends. Online dating isn't perfect, but I think it's probably more reliable than meeting guys in bars.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Well, yeah, it does suck...but every once in awhile you can strike gold. Sure beats hanging out in bars and picking up drunks.

Anonymous said...

Actually I disagree .. I've done both, and I'd rather go with the bar buddy's.

First of all, they are some place you frequent. Second, it's an attraction factor. Third, in the matter of 10 minutes, you can find out if there is more substance than wasting two weeks talking to someone who doesn't look like thier picture and are nothing like they've described personality wise.

Just my personal opinion and experience though.

Anonymous said...

I've heard the same too Em...
Although some people have told me I'm too picky, I don't take offense to it. I haven't been picky enough in the past, and now I know what I want and don't want to settle for less than I deserve.

I've reserved myself to the fact that I'd rather die single than give up for less than what I deserve.

Although I struggle with my innermost desire to have kids... hell, I'll adopt some!