Thursday, September 24, 2009

Quick International Trip

I got asked by my colleagues in Toronto to come and speak to them about what I've been doing here in the U.S. I flew to Toronto on Tuesday afternoon, and I was surprised by how quick the flight was. The flight schedule says 90 minutes, but in reality, you're only in the air about 50 minutes. The only other time I flew to Toronto was when I lived in Dallas, and I guess I just have this idea that going to another country should take longer. There's so much about Canada that is so similar to America, but then there are just little things that make you realize you're in a "foreign" country. Like the billboard I saw that said "Now: Nonstop flights to Cuba." You wouldn't see that in the U.S.

I had dinner with my colleagues on Tuesday night, and they asked me so many questions, I was the last to finish my entree. I had work to do that night back at the hotel, and I was up until midnight putting the finishing touches on my presentation. Up early the next morning, I spoke for two hours (8:30-10:30). I hung around talking to them all for just a little longer before heading back to the airport around 11. I realized when I got back to the airport that from the time I landed to the time I took off, I was only there 20 hours. Quick trip! But I enjoyed it.




The pictures are of a beautiful old church near my company's Toronto office, with the CN Tower in the background; a filming we passed on the street of NYC cabs for a movie (Toronto poses as NYC for film crews), and a pub for Canadian beer Molson I found in the airport.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds short but sweet!
Love, M

Unknown said...

I'm jealous, I know nothing of Toronto. Do love my Canadian friends, though.

Funny coincidence, Al and I are flying from London to Madrid and commenting on the very short commute to a completely different culture. Now on our descent, after a short 1 1/4 hr flight. Gone are the green hedgerowed fields, plentiful are the shades of rusty dusty brown. Hola Espana

Steve Rubel said...

Thanks for warming up the place. I am heading back there next week (then again I go a couple of times a year).

Vetmommy said...

Sounds like a great short trip. You got there a lot quicker than me going to Port Aransas; what differences between those two trips!