Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Some Pictures from the Weekend

Last weekend, I went to Austin for my niece Anna's 8th birthday. I got to see both sisters and all my nieces and nephews, my parents, and later my uncle Tom. It was a nice boost of family time.

Since Anna and her brother Colin have been exposed to the Star Wars movies, it has become a part of their imaginative play and shown up in their artwork. Anna asked for a Star Wars themed party and an R2D2 cake.

My brother-in-law Anthony makes masterpiece cakes. He'll deny it and point out the defects, but every year, he creates a work of art. Plus, they actually taste good -- even the icing! Anthony's uncle Volker from Germany helped put some of the finishing touches on the cake.

















My sister Jenn researches online for theme games each year, and she did a great job of explaining the games to all the kids, even those who hadn't seen the movies. We made simple "Jedi" tunics out of muslin and added a brown sash. Each kid also got a blow-up light saber.




Jenn did Anna's hair like Padme Amidala, and I styled Colin's hair like Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christensen's version).











It was a fun party. Anna rated the day 10 out of 10, and it was great to see all my nieces and nephews and sisters!

1 comment:

get2eric said...

Great post. It was a terrific day.
Thanks for posting the pics of the cake construction. It always looks so good but I know there is a lot of engineering going on before the finished product.