Sunday, April 19, 2009

Night out in D.C.

Last week, I was in Washington, D.C. for a conference for work. One evening, I was taken out to dinner by a vendor who wants to partner with us on business. They insisted on "wooing" me, even though I told them I think they have a good product and am already willing to work with them.

There were three guys, two married and one who has a girlfriend, so it wasn't a flirtatious encounter, but as I have mentioned before, I really enjoy male company. One of them kept remarking, though, "I don't understand why you're still single!" And, although on the surface this is flattering, it is usually -- as it was this time -- followed up with something like, "Are you too picky?"

How to respond? I usually explain that I am divorced, TWICE, and if I am "too" picky now, that is a good thing!

Later, he said again, "I just don't understand why you're alone..." and it seemed like he was trying to figure out if there's something seriously wrong with me under the surface! Ha! Well, I may be unique (aren't we all?) but I'm not THAT abnormal.

We had a great dinner -- they ordered Cakebread wine -- and then we went to a little bar and danced to 80's music. I got back to the hotel late after begging to go back (most of them kept on going).

I also really enjoyed the conference. It was my first time "tweeting" on Twitter from a conference, and I'm thrilled that my tweets were well received by the Twitter community. Several of my quotes were re-tweeted, and I gained many followers.

4 comments:

jman said...

Telling someone once that it is unfathomable why they are single is flattering, more than once annoying. Does there have to be a reason?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, thought same thing,Jman!

Sounds like you had a good time though,Emily. :)

Aunty Norma.xx

Lauren said...

What's your Twitter profile name? I'll follow you!

SINgleGIRL said...

I agree with jman - although I'd call it more insulting than annoying.