Monday, March 19, 2007

What a Freakin' MONDAY!

So I got all my stuff moved on Saturday. I couldn't do much after the movers left. After all the boxing and lifting and fighting this virus I've caught, I was completely exhausted. On Sunday, I didn't feel much better, but I did manage to unpack most of my kitchen boxes.

Late yesterday afternoon, my god-daughter Annie brought over her pups, a teacup chihuahua and a chihuahua-Jack Russell terrier mix. They are adorable, and I agreed to watch them this week while Annie is on spring break in Florida.

I decided to wake up a little extra early this morning to take care of the dogs and get them packed up and ready for the office. One of the perks at my work is the ability to bring well-behaved dogs to work with you.

Not knowing how cold the morning might be, I decided to throw on a robe just in case. Out to the big back yard we went. These little dogs are in heaven in my large yard, and I enjoyed watching them chase each other. After a few minutes, I decided to head in for a shower...uh, oh...the door is locked behind me. I didn't realize when I came out that the HANDLE lock was set in the lock position! Ack! It's still dark out, and I have no keys or phone. Oh jeez...

I remembered my friend/landlord told me she had done this before and that the nice elderly couple next door had a key. I didn't see any lights on next door, so I decided to wait a bit and hope they woke up.

After a half an hour or so, I decided to go ring their bell and wake them up. I rang, I knocked, but no answer. Ok, so they're either hearing impaired or they're not home. Next?

I went across the street. At least there were lights on.

Imagine this: someone rings your doorbell and when you open the door, you see your brand new neighbor slightly disheveled, standing in her robe on your front porch.

Well, they say everything happens for a reason. I met my neighbors, who are SO nice, and they allowed me to use their phone to call a locksmith. They graciously gave me delicious Italian coffee and kept me company at their kitchen table while I waited for the locksmith, who called to say he was stuck in traffic and would be an additional 20 minutes.

Finally getting back into my house, I quickly showered and got to work, forgetting my security card and sweating most of my makeup off by the time I got to my office. Oh well. At least I had the puppies to keep my spirits up. Too bad my cat Sabrina doesn't feel the same way about them.

6 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Oh man, that IS bad! At least you had nice helpful neighbors!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the woes of moving - hope we don't lock ourselves out, too! So glad you have landed there in spite of it all.
Love, M & D

grandad says said...

Oh man, what a start.....
I have been locked out of this house twice. fortunately the master bath window was not locked- both times- and I was able to shimmy through. Wouldn't be able to do it now though; passage of a few years!

Bet you wont do that again.

Unknown said...

On the bright side... things can only get better!

Unknown said...

AAAaah! That sounds like an anxiety nightmare, except it was REAL. Hey sounds like you've got great neighbors mmmmmmmm cafe...

Anonymous said...

EMILY!!! will you please try to keep up! stand still for 30 minutes..rest every 30 mins..we can all tell you are working too hard...I order you to stop it and think a bit more about YOU! you remind me of someone (can't think who at the moment) ah yes..Lucy 'I love Lucy' remember? a bit dizzy but not daft hahaha I loves ya anyway,A.Norma.xxx so you went back to Dallas then...