Monday, March 05, 2007

Philly, for Work

I arrived in Philly yesterday. I'm excited that I'm up here to train a new employee. She will be taking over a couple of my accounts that are in this area, and that will help my workload tremendously.

I arrived at the airport late afternoon. I always feel comfortable in airports. Guess it seems normal to me after living in an airline family. I find them easy to navigate.

The past times I've been here for work, I've taken taxis, but now that I know where the office is, I decided to rent a car. I remember when I was fresh out of college and travelling with my first job -- I wasn't old enough to rent a car! Nice not to have to worry about that now.

I always feel a little apprehension driving in a new place, but I've found my way around many cities. New Jersey is one of the most difficult because they don't allow left turns. Everywhere else, you can always turn around and backtrack if you need to. I've learned that I have a pretty good sense of direction, and I've also learned some of my coworkers couldn't find their way out of a paper sack!

It's cold up here, but I'm hot inside. Whenever I travel north during the winter, I've noticed how high they set the heat. So now, I'm sitting in a sleeveless mock turtleneck while the locals are dressed in long-sleeves. I also have to turn the air on in my hotel room to compensate for the heat that is rising through the building.

Someday, I hope I actually get to explore this city a bit. Every trip I've taken up here has been so dominated by work, I haven't had a chance to see all the historical sights.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We do have good internal compasses thanks to our unusual upbringing, huh?

WAHOO! Good to hear they are finally staffing up. I hope you get to wander around Philly at some point too; when I went there on business, I only got to briefly see the Liberty Bell, and that was it! Good restaurants there -- I remember that.

Anonymous said...

And you get your navigational instincts from ME, sorry to be so obnoxious, and from your Grandad Brooks - it runs in the genes, as Steph said.

I, too was in Phili once for a short time and only saw the Liberty Bell. I think it is a nice City.

Love you, M

grandad says said...

A great appetite and strange sense of humour come from me.

I too was in Philadelphia once or twice and saw the Liberty Bell.

Unimpressed- nowhere near as monumental as Big Ben!

Anonymous said...

I hate the jug handles (I think that's what they call them) in NJ! They make no sense and you have to turn right two blocks before you ever get to the street you need to be on.

I too have been to Philly a few times and never seen the sites...but there are some really good restaurants and bars! You can tell what my priorities are!

Anonymous said...

Well you all get the 'good looks' from ME! :o) xx

paula said...

Actually, my sense of direction is really shocking. I even get lost in the building at work - really bad!!!