Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Gross, and a little self-deprecating

Words I loathe:
mucus
phlegm
drainage

It seems my body has always produced an excessive amount of mucus. I remember my mom always telling me to blow my nose as a child because she could hear I was congested. We also had this conversation frequently:
Mom: Emily, do you want a mint?
Emily: No thanks.
Mom: Yes, you do.
Emily: No, I really don't want one.
Mom: Yes, you DO.
(bad breath due to drainage, I guess.)

I am one of those people who blows my nose everyday, no matter what the weather, allergy forecast or my health status. I have boxes of tissues in every room of my house, in my office and in my car. And thanks to the rosacea I got in my thirties, my skin is so sensitive, I have to use tissues with aloe or blisters will form on that tiny bit of skin separating the nostrils. And those aren't pretty. And they hurt. And I still have to blow daily.

So, now I have a virus. Mostly it's been a chest cold, which produces lots of fun coughing and hacking up stuff. But I also have been blowing my nose a fair bit. And now, I have a pimple INSIDE my left nostril! OUCH! I really don't need this. It's enough to suffer with the coughs and nose-blowing. Oh well, at least it's not visible from the outside, causing people to wonder if it's a whiffle booger that might fall on the next exhale...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Both your poor little nose and words coming back to me from the past! Take care of yourself,
Love you, M

Unknown said...

Inside the nose zits are the WORST!!!!!!!!! Ugh, I hate those.

Hope your cold symptoms wane soon.

I can do gross self-depricating battle with you anytime you want...being preggie will afford you all new ways to gross yourself out at virtually every orafice. euwwwww, did I just say that?

Vetmommy said...

Sorry you are suffering. You may want to go to your MD for a strep test, especially with your exposure to kissable but germy youngsters recently. I didn't start feeling better until I started taking antibiotics like Anna.

Unknown said...

Urgh. You're really not having much fun at the moment, are you?! Look at it this way: things can only get better! x

Anonymous said...

Ug. This nasty stuff sure is making the rounds. Mom came down with a chest cold last night. I've been her personal nurse...
Geezz I hope it stops soon! Emie, I hope your feeling better. Were all thinking of you.

XOXOXOXOXO!

paula said...

With you on the mucus thing sweetheart!! I've always had those problems too, currently suffering with horrible chest cold virus thing ..... yukkkkk!!!