Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring's New Beginnings

Sorry...long time no post.

Besides a busy work schedule where I'm trying to train two new people which will help me tremendously, I'm also turning my personal life upside down.

Steve and I have broken up. I'm temporarily staying with a dear friend, who graciously lives just 5 minutes from my work. (Not having that long commute is a huge blessing.) I've found a new place to live (another blessing) and will be moving my stuff next weekend. Janet helped me pack up at least half of my belongings this weekend. My body hurts and my hands have multiple scratches. I'm exhausted, physically and emotionally, but I've been sleeping soundly and feel like this is the right decision for me.

I'm trying to find myself again. I've been reading this delightful book called "Eat, Pray, Love" written by a woman after her divorce while she travels through Italy for the pursuit of pleasure, India to focus on spirituality, and Indonesia to find balance. I relate to her quest so much. Here's one passage that I can identify with:

"...I have boundary issues with men. Or maybe that's not fair to say. To have issues with boundaries, one must have boundaries in the first place, right? But I disappear into the person I love. If I love you, you can have everything. You can have my time, my devotion, my ass, my money, my family, my dog, my dog's money, my dog's time -- everything. If I love you, I will carry for you all your pain, I will assume for you all your debts (in every definition of the word), I will protect you from your own insecurity, I will project upon you all sorts of good qualities that you have never actually cultivated in yourself and I will buy Christmas presents for your entire family. I will give you the sun and the rain...I will give you all this and more, until I get completely exhausted and depleted..."

I'm working on it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that quote from the book, Emily. It identifies what so many of us do but can't express in words. I might like to borrow the book when you are finished.

Hang in there...one of your new employees is sending lots of big, tight hugs and is also trying to get up to speed quickly and not send too many emails :)

Anonymous said...

That book sounds very insightful and helpful. Be gentle with yourself and know that I am with you every day in spirit and thought.
Love you, M

Unknown said...

Oh Emily - I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope you're doing ok. x

paula said...

Oh Em, so very sorry. Try to take it easy. Great quote from the book. Sending you love and hugs. XXXX

Anonymous said...

Good old Janet........maybe you should marry her?

Keep your chin up Lovey.

Anonymous said...

I thank GOD that you are a strong Woman,Em...that takes some doing (ending a relationship) you are evidently still to meet your Soulmate...your cousin Debbie has been through that very same thing but now she is looking up...found a lovely Guy born same Month as her...love and kisses on the way...catch!! xxxx

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've been out of touch for a while, trying to catch up. I think I am sorry to hear about the break up. I really liked the steve stories I heard, he seemed like a great catch, which is hard to find these days. Send him my way....ha ha! Anyway, don't go rushing into any new relationships, you'll need time to get your thoughts together.

Lisa