Friday, June 16, 2006

Life for Rent

The song "Life for Rent" by Dido has been on my mind lately, particularly these lyrics:

"...If I am so afraid to fail that I won't even try,
how can I say I'm alive?

If my life is for rent, and I don't learn to buy
Then I deserve nothing more than I get
'Cause nothing I have is truly mine."


I wasn't into sports as a kid. I don't have natural ability in that area, and I definitely was afraid to try anything for fear of failure.

There were moments during the triathlon when I thought "What the hell am I doing?" and just wanted to stop, to quit. But I silenced that quitter voice and pushed on. As I had heard from others who have done these types of races, it truly is a mental challenge as much as a physical one.

I like the song by Dido. It starts off "I haven't ever really found a place that I call 'Home.' I never stick around long enough to make it." I have moved around quite a bit, both growing up and just here within the Dallas metroplex. I like to start over. I like new places, and I'm used to it. But it's nice to have stability, too. I think I'm finally getting to a place in my life where I'm ready to "buy" -- to make a true commitment to something (or someone). When you buy, there's a risk that it won't be exactly what you thought it was, but there are rewards to sticking with it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you haven't asked for advice,Em..but I say 'hold your horses'...take your time'''only mistakes are made in haste and so on and so forth...I do admire you for taking part in the triathalon thingy..but I never make my body do anything it doesn't want to...does this make sense to you? I love you whatever you do. :) xx

Emily said...

Hm...maybe you misunderstood me. I'm not making any hasty decisions, rather I'm trying to follow through on the decisions I've made.

Anonymous said...

Funny really Em, that song by Dido is one of my favourites as it really stikes a chord with me. I hear what you are saying sweetheart and reckon you are doing just beautifully XX

Anonymous said...

Ooops..sorry then :o( I meant about buying stuff too...ah, Shuddup,Norma. xxx

Vetmommy said...

I think everyone has those niggling thoughts. But during and after the tri, I could see your "game face;" you were determined to finish! And you did, because you were prepared and committed. Good analogy for a lot of things in life.