Monday, February 20, 2006

Meeting the Family

Meeting someone's family is always an important step in a new relationship. I believe this is even trickier when meeting someone's children.

Steve's son, Declan, came to visit his dad this weekend. Friday night did not go so well, but in all fairness, it could have been worse. It definitely didn't go as easily as my fantasy of meeting him and his sister Hayden and all of us having a laughing good time.

Declan is ten years old. I am the first girlfriend of his dad's that he's ever met. The last time he saw his dad was at New Year's, and he was understandably jealous of sharing any time of his father's with a stranger.

After dinner on Friday, Steve talked to Declan about his relationship with me, explaining that I'm an important, happy part of his life now. After that, things went a lot smoother. On Saturday, they played all day while I did my own thing (errands, cleaning, exercising, etc.) and then we got together for dinner. We had a good time and came back to my house to play Chickenfoot (a dominoes game). Declan was a natural and ended up winning the game. Oh, and he asked his dad if he could ride in my car from the restaurant to my house. :-)

Tonight I had them over to my house for dinner, and then we played Scattegories. I think it was a little too sophisticated for Declan, but he seemed to enjoy himself anyway. He was very interested in my iPod and asked lots of questions about how it works.

I've never dated someone with kids before, and it's more difficult than I had imagined. I'm embarrassed to admit that I miss our alone time and the easy routine of weekends we have fallen into. Still, I'm up for the challenge. I've never known or loved anyone as special as Steve, so if anyone is worth it, he is.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing you, Em-Em, I'm sure you did a great job of making Declan feel comfortable. He looks like a real nice little man!
Love, M

Unknown said...

If you're happy, hang on to it with both hands, no matter how hard.

Glad you're having such a great time, Em.. :)

Vetmommy said...

Sounds like it was an adjustment for you and Declan. He sure is a cutie!

Unknown said...

Oh, I have a friend with a Declan, she nicknamed him "Deckie"

I like what hannah said, too. Sounds like it all ended very well. Stay the course, and be true to who you are!

Anonymous said...

Really pleased for you Em, it sounds like it all went really well. Hannah has pretty much said it all really, and Declan looks like a really nice young man - great pic XXXX

Anonymous said...

..Yes and I agree with Steph.! be yourself,Em,cos you are a lovely,caring Human being OK? :o) Steve has a warm,caring face himself :o) so now to Declan and sister..children can see through an act or untruths much better than we can so relax a vouz and enjoy..he is at a nice age where you can be the best of confidentes if so wished..xx

Anonymous said...

Glad all went well meeting Declan! I know he appreciated how nice and caring you are...evidenced by the fact that he wanted to ride in YOUR car. That's a big step! =)

Love-Bevie-