Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Order Up

Perhaps I watch too much TV. I have my favorite sitcoms, dramas and news shows, and at least I use my DVR and fast-forward through the commercials.

Tonight I was catching up on Brothers & Sisters. The divorced sister Sarah is the character I currently identify with. In the most recent episode, she had a brief monologue where she's describing her relationship falterings, stating she's successful in many areas of her life, like business, but just has this one area of her life that she can't make work. In another scene, she's talking to her school-aged daughter about Valentine's and tells her it's not always the guy who makes you blush and not able to put a coherent sentence together that's the best for you -- at the time she's dating a nice guy that she doesn't feel passion for. But as TV usually does, she ends up at the end of the hour broken up from the boring, nice guy and back together with her passionate French ex-boyfriend.

I want the butterflies and blushing and stammering. I've tried settling, and I don't think it's worth it. Of course, there's more to it than attraction and passion, but I do believe those are important ingredients.

I had lunch with a recently married colleague of mine this week, and she described her nearly one-year marriage (second one for her) as feeling comfortably settled. She said it's such a comforting, wonderful feeling. I want settled, but without settling.

And since I've heard and read that you need to state what you want, I want a guy that adores me, the challenges me to be my best, that makes me laugh even when I want to shout or cry, someone who is loyal, intelligent, and deserving of my respect and admiration, someone who will appreciate all I have to give. And Universe? Tall, dark and handsome is great, too. Thanks.

2 comments:

grandad says said...

Yeah, me too.

I watch mostly from recorded stuff too, I hate commercials.

Anonymous said...

hahaha Not asking for much are you,Em? you have described most Women's dream man! Be patient you're still young!


A.Norma.xx