Thursday, February 18, 2010

Jury Duty Bonus

I got called for jury duty this week. While it is a chore, I realize it's also truly a U.S. citizen's civic duty and an opportunity to be a part of our judicial system.

It was an all-day affair, and I almost got selected. I was hoping I wouldn't, because the judge said the trial would be 6 working days. But I did get to sit in the jury box and got asked questions, along with the other potential jurors, from the judge, the assistant district attorney, and the defense attorney.

When at the end of the day, several of us were excused, many of us were breathing a sigh of relief. I walked out with a couple others, and one guy asked if anyone wanted to grab a drink. I thought, why not? (and he's cute)

As we walked to a bar a few blocks away, he did the Southern gentleman thing of walking on the sidewalk closer to the street. As we took turns and crossed streets, he would politely maneuver me to the "safer" side of the sidewalk. I commented on it, and he explained he grew up in Washington, D.C. and was raised to follow the Southern ways. He moved to NYC a few years ago because he loved the city and was working successfully at that time as a massage therapist. With the recession, he lost a significant number of his clients, so he fell back on his accounting and finance degree and got a good job in the transportation industry. But he said he still also does massage therapy. (Bonus!)

We had a quick drink because he was due to meet some friends, and I was going to church for the Ash Wednesday service. But I learned he's got one older sister, owns his apartment in the city, and he's a Capricorn. We exchanged numbers, and I've gotten a couple text messages from him already.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he is a Capricorn,Em. GRAB HIM!! Uncle Noel is under that star sign..very dependable, very honest,etc. only one thing..they are happy to stay where they are!don't need anything different..not keen on Holidays :( but marvellous 'other half' material hahahaha I always wanted to sit on a Jury but never got the chance.

jman said...

It is unusual to be dismissed from jury duty after one day. Typically you have to do about 3 days without being chosen before they let you go. So lucky you! In more ways than one it may appear.

You know the received wisdom of the man walking closest to the street is to protect the woman from being splashed by carriages (now cars) rolling by, but the truth is (and I am revealing a closely guarded secret which may prove my undoing but inasmuch as it is no longer an issue in modern times I think it is safe) the reason was that in oldern days before modern plumbing and trash pick up people disposed of their waste and rubbish by simply tossing it out the window. Under the guise of chivalry, men were using women as shields! And now you know the rest of the story.

BTW were you two the only ones who went for a drink?

Anonymous said...

Oooh,Jman,I don't think you are correct there,hahaha,.. in the 'olden days' they DID indeed throw out the waste through the windows but I know for a fact it always landed in the Gutters! :) so Emily DID have a Gentleman with the right idea,huh? :)


Aunty Norma.x

Anonymous said...

You simply cannot beat a southern gentleman ;)
And--
I cringe to think who was chosen for that jury if they let you go.

Emily said...

Aunty Norma: Everyone has their positive and negative traits, the trick is to find compatibility.

jman: Yes, I was lucky to get out with just one day. They had a surplus due to the storm the week before. And yes, we were the only ones that went for a drink, although the invitation was broader.

Anonymous: I've had good and bad experiences with Southern gentlemen, but I do appreciate the manners.

Anonymous said...

Correct,Emily, what I mean to say is that a Capricorn person is VERY compatible with most signs as is mine Cancerian :) as you were born at the end of May (if I remember right) you're bordering on Cancer..so you're 'Quids in' :)


A.Norma.x