Thursday, January 21, 2010

North vs. South

I took a business trip to Atlanta this week, and I was struck by some of the obvious differences between NYC and Atlanta, or possibly the South in general. For one, the temperature was noticeably warmer (in the 60's) but when I entered my hotel room, they had the heat on! I promptly turned it off.

The cabbie from the airport was super chatty and friendly, too. I just I've gotten a bit NY-ified, but it's difficult for me to make small talk sometimes. And I'm just not used to cabbies talking so much. This guy first pegged me as a Mary Kay consultant (there was a convention in town), and after I declined that label, he asked me if I was a lawyer!? I just don't like to give too much personal info, so I kept my answers brief and concentrated on my email (legitimately). He finally quieted down. And then when we got to the hotel, he said, "You're really beautiful. You have the perfect nose for modeling." I just thanked him and laughed. My nose? Really?

The waiter at the hotel restaurant was very chatty, too. Oh, and the menu was appalling in its scarcity of healthy options! And I chose the healthiest of the restaurants (the other was a sports bar with typical bar food like wings and fried things). They had lots of mashed potatoes, ribs, fried chicken. I was really hankering for sushi but was able to settle on a fish dish and a large salad. I'm determined to lose the extra pounds I gained over the holidays and maybe a few more, but it was easy for me to see why many Southern states have higher obesity rates.

Glad to be back in NYC. :-)

8 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Very interesting! Food and coffee options are always a bit dicey when traveling.

jman said...

The South is a wierd and scary place. Anytime I cross the Potomac I start to get nervous. I always feel like I have NYC branded on my forehead and a target on my back. If you think the cabbies etc are too friendly in Atlanta then stay away from Salt Lake City. My close friends don't speak to me with such familiarity! Stuff like that gets my NY dander up and I start to bristle and have to bite my tongue from being obnoxious and saying "excuse me but you must have me confused with someone who cares."

I have to admit I am partial to things like mashed potatoes and gravy and fried chicken. Healthy eating only gets you so far.

I have heard of hand models and foot models. It must be reassuring for you that no matter what happens you can always find work as a nose model!

jman said...

Oops! My dyslexic fingers got a little "weird" on me. Guess even typing about the South affects me.

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha ..Enjoyed your post today,Emily, Jman made me laugh!



Aunty Norma.x

Anonymous said...

As a resident of Mt. Pleasant/Charleston, SC for the past 26 years (grew up in MI), I'm trying not to be too insulted by jman's post.-- Normally I'm a big fan of his comments.
I could never live up north again. I love the climate, friendliness, and hospitality of the south. It's nice that people will say hello to you when you pass them on the street. In NYC passer-bys won't even make eye contact. I guess it's what you get used to, but I'll choose polite and friendly every time. Btw, in Charleston you can find all types of restaurants--sushi, healthly choices from local farmers, vegetarian fare, and fried/grilled/broiled chicken and seafood. A choice for every palate. Also, from my most recent visit to NYC I didn't notice more of a weight problem here than there.
Kay

Unknown said...

As someone who's lived many places and traveled several more, I've always found the battles between places amusing. I don't like the "mean face" you have to put on in NYC, and I don't care for the syrupy-Southern-sweetness-when-you-are-there-daggers-when-you-turn-your-back thing either, Guess it's fortuitous that I ended up in Texas, where we tell it like it is, but with a smile!

Emily said...

Vetmommy: Yes, at least I can always rely on Starbucks for my usual latte.

jman: You are funny -- it's not weird or scary! And I don't think I could ever be a nose model. Now, that's weird!

Aunty Norma: Glad to brighten your day.

Kay: I didn't mean to be offensive, but the data from Trust for America's Health showed there is a greater rate of obesity in the South: http://healthyamericans.org/reports/obesity2009/

Edamamemommy: I certainly didn't mean to start a turf war! There are good and bad everywhere, I believe. But for me, I prefer it here in NYC.

Anonymous said...

No offense taken, Em. I have read that data before, but I have also read that the statistics have more to do with the poverty level in certain areas of the south rather than what the restaurants in a particular Atlanta hotel have to offer. There is an abundance of healthy options available in every large (and many not so large) city in the south.
I have lived in MI, IL, TX, SC, CA, and Rome, Italy. There are good and bad aspects of each. I don't think a turf war is necessary...but I also don't believe that any of them are 'weird and scary places'. Have a great weekend!
Kay