Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Enjoying Free Activities in NYC

Last Saturday, we actually got some sun! (We've only had 5 days in June that it hasn't rained.) I enjoyed getting out on my bike for a nice ride up the West side, where there is a protected bike path, and then I stopped for some free kayaking in the Hudson River.
I learned about the kayaking last year, and it's such a treat. It's FREE and all you have to do is sign a waiver and they let you borrow a lifejacket and kayak. I was out for about 30 minutes. I figure it's a good arm workout after my hour on the bike for my legs.

Saturday night, it rained as I was walking over to the East River for a free opera performance. "River to River" is a series of performances by musical artists that occurs at different venues on the Hudson and East Rivers. Saturday was a performance by the NY Opera and Orchestra, and one of the tenors attends my church. He occasionally sings solos at church and awes us all with his world-class talent. There were several singers who performed a collection of songs from various operas, including Rigoletto and the Barber of Seville.

The rain was pretty heavy as I walked over to the venue, but it cleared up just before performance time and we were treated to several rainbows over the stage. The whole thing was beautiful.

5 comments:

E said...

Did you attend the festivities alone, or did you have company?
Just curious

Emily said...

Yep, it was just me. Good thing I enjoy my own company! ;-)

jman said...

With the amount of rain we've had (another downpour today!) you might want to consider taking out an ark for a trial run or two.

When is the Barcelona trip?

get2eric said...

Do you lock up your bike?

Emily said...

jman: I'm tentatively planning on a trip to Barcelona in Sept.

get2eric/Daddy: yes, of course!