Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mom's Holiday Gift Weekend

This week totally got away from me. Between travelling, dealing with a bout of food poisoning, and holiday parties, I just didn't find the time to blog!

Here are some pictures from my mom's visit last weekend. Our family draws names for gifts, and my mom was my giftee this year. She wanted to go to the Rockette's, and my dad and I also conspired to get tickets to Gypsy on Broadway. It was a fun-filled weekend.

She arrived Thursday night and successfully navigated the trains from Newark to the World Trade Center station. My apartment is just a couple blocks from there, and I met her at the station. On Friday, I had to work, so after some brief instruction and a MetroCard, she headed up to Rockefeller Center on her own and found her way back again to meet me for lunch. That night we saw Gypsy, and Patti Lupone was absolutely fantastic. We stuck around afterwards and got her to sign our Playbills! (The back of my mom's blonde head is in the picture with Patti Lupone.)

On Saturday, after walking around the holiday booths at Union Square and brunch with a couple of my friends, we saw the matinee show of the Rockettes. They were terrific. My favorite part was when they acted out the complete nativity story with animals and singing and dancing. The scale of the production is unbelievable.

Then we walked up and down 5th Avenue enjoying the decorations and battling the crazy crowds, all the while trying to stay warm! We met up with another friend of mine for some hot chocolate and then headed back downtown to meet FWB for dinner. (He passed the mom inspection!)

On Sunday, my choir performed at church, and once we got home and out of the incredible cold, we decided to stay indoors! We had dinner that night with an old friend of mine from college who was in town for business. The next morning, we each headed to separate airports!

It was a lovely weekend and kicked off the holiday time for each of us, I think.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was GREAT, FANTASTIC, and oh so much fun!!! Thank you for my wonderful Christmas present. The nativity scene at Radio City brought me to tears - WOW is all I can say.
Love you, M

Anonymous said...

Lovely.. A.Norma.x