Monday, December 22, 2008

How old are you?

Trying to see as many loved ones as I can while I'm in Texas. I saw my Grandma and my great aunt Sudie, my aunt & uncle and their kids, and got the opportunity to have lunch with my closest girlfriends. I've gotten more hugs in the past couple days than I have in a month! It's great.

A funny story about my aunt Sudie, who despite struggling with increasingly fragile health this year will turn 94 in January. We had a rare opportunity for a private conversation while my more vociferous Grandma was on the phone in the other room.

Sudie said, wistfully, "I always wished you had had a baby. I think that you would have had a beautiful baby."

I said, "Well, I haven't completely given up hope yet, Sudie!" with a chuckle.

"How old are you?" She inquired.

"36." To which she inhaled her breath with her lips pursed in a disparaging way.

"Don't wait too long. Don't wait until you're 40."

[Like I'm consciously choosing to wait to have kids. I've wanted to have kids as long as I can remember but life hasn't exactly worked out the way I planned.]

It's funny I'm being told I'm too old by almost-94-year-old aunt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh,my Emily..you will make a lovely Mummy..xxx

A.Norma.

Unknown said...

She was probably reflecting on her own life and experiences, or missed experiences. :'