Thursday, October 30, 2008

O You! was Outstanding

As my mom foreshadowed in her comment to my previous post, we attended the O You! conference last Saturday in San Francisco. It was a fantastic event.









There were several thousand women there, and we saw several mother-and-daughter duos.







The line-up of speakers was straight out of the O Magazine, and due to concurrent sessions, we had to choose four. Other than one session, my mom and I were together. I saw Martha Beck, Suze Orman, Stacy London and Marianne Williamson. As you can see in one of my pictures, Stacy came down into the crowd and walked very close to us. She was fantastic, providing realistic advice to everyone about fashion and style. She took questions from the audience, which turned into personal critiques (very respectful) of the individual and some personalized advice. Martha Beck was my favorite of the day. She was genuine, fascinating and funny. She is a professional coach but actually got into more of a spiritual/life area that resonated with me. In contrast, Marianne Williamson, who is known for the spiritual side, didn't connect with me or my mom.


Suze Orman was dynamic and hilarious. She began her talk by saying, "You may have noticed the title for this session was 'The 8 Habits of Wealthy Women.' It has now been renamed: 'What the hell is going on in this country and how does it impact all of us.'" She also gave very practical advice (I took notes) and predicted that we won't be out of this financial crisis until 2015.



The day ended with an unplanned visit by Oprah. Her BF Gayle King led the event and told us in her opening speech that she pleaded with Oprah to show up. Although Oprah looked tired (she admitted having finished several tapings of her show and other interviews), she was very inspiring.

I would definitely recommend one of these events. I have some advice for them to improve their website, but overall it was a very energizing and uplifting day. The Moscone venue was fantastic, and since there were a limited number of men in attendance, I truly appreciated that they redesignated most of the men's restrooms to women. They are planning on posting the presentations by each speaker on their website: www.oyouonline.com Currently, you can find videos from last year's conference there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bev looks so much like Grandma Dulce in the first photo (a slimmer version of course).

Anonymous said...

Very funny, Lindsey! It reminds me of what Anna said to me last year, "You know, Nana, you are looking more like Grandma Dulce every day!" :)

I just hope I have her lasting enthusiasm for life as well as her longevity!

Bev (the senior)