Monday, April 07, 2008

Art After Dark


Friday night I had a date with one of the guys I met at Speed Dating. He invited me to join him at the Guggenheim Museum for First Fridays, where you can jam to loud music spun by a DJ as you enjoy the art in the incredible building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The exhibition currently on display is one by Cai Guo-Qiang, a Chinese artist known for his "creative transgressions and cultural provocations."

It was interesting.

Traffic was congested, as usual, so I text-messaged that I would be 10 minutes late. No matter, the line to get in was around the building and down the block. When I found my date, he introduced me to his friend from work who was there and mentioned another friend was joining us. I was surprised, as I didn't realize our plan was for a group event.

We waited in line for 90 minutes before we were allowed in. No kidding. At least the weather was nice, but it was time filled with awkward conversation and many silences. Weird, to say the least.

Once inside, despite the ear-splitting music, both the exhibition and the people-watching was very entertaining. But I felt out of place. I'm not into music that loud -- oh, and did I mention my date was checking out every girl in sight? I felt strangely too old for this scene. Although there were others my age or older, the majority of the crowd seemed in their twenties. Besides, it was late and the end of a long and busy week for me. (By the time we got into the museum, it was 11:30 p.m. The event goes until 1 a.m.)

I'm glad I went and experienced something new. But I doubt I'll go again.

3 comments:

get2eric said...

Sounds like a perfect evening...........wait in line for 1 1/2 hrs to get inside where the noise shakes your body.

Ah, nowt queer as folks heh?

Unknown said...

What if you joined a supper club? That scene, although ultra-NYC, doesn't sound like the way my sis is going to meet true friends, let alone date-material. Feeling for you...

paula said...

Funny, it's not really my idea of a good time, also I'd be asleep by the time you got in.