Sunday, July 29, 2007

One Person's Junk is Another Person's Treasure

Yesterday, I had the biggest garage sale I've ever held, due to the sheer volume of stuff I am purging to get ready for my new, compact NYC apartment. I advertised in the newspaper, online and put signs around the neighborhood.

My parents came up from Houston to help me get organized (Mommy's specialty) and man the sale. Thank God they did...I don't think I could have done it all on my own. We had a lot of traffic, and Daddy helped people get to their cars with their purchases. He also made us breakfast sandwiches!

It always amazes me to see what people will buy. I had heard from a friend that clothes sell very well at garage sales. I've never sold clothes before; I usually just donate them. But I figured I'd put them out there and if they didn't sell, I'd donate them afterwards. LOTS of people dug through the box of clothes and bought items. I sold most things for $1-2. One lady bought a bra for $1! Why would you buy a bra at a garage sale? Gross.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Used undergarments? I cannot imagine. But glad you got a buck or two! What were your top selling items? What were you sad to part with/happy to see go?

Emily said...

I wasn't too sad about anything going. I was thrilled that people would pay a dollar for things I was going to donate! My top selling items are actually items that I've sold separate from the garage sale: the entertainment unit and the piano. Both are going to friends.

get2eric said...

inre things sad to see go..............I had given Emily a drill many years ago and Mommy asked if I wanted it or should we sell it......we let it go and I saw a guy pick it up and carry it off......I got it from a friend ( Tom Schuchat ) in 1974...
The piano also brought a few twinges......Warren played it as did Susan Muirhead..........to say nothing of all the times I heard the girls practicing when they were little.
Oh well, I reminisce...'scuse me

Anonymous said...

Emily...am wondering if you let the Frank Usher blue dress go (from the Generation Game) ??? :o)

paula said...

Ahhhh mammaries!! Sorry couldn't resist, I mean I don't know whether I am more appalled at the thought of you actually selling a used bra or the lady who bought it!!!???