Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Highs and Lows of a New Job

Although Monday was my first day in my new position, today is my first day in the office. On Monday and Tuesday, I attended a conference in New Jersey with my boss and some of my new colleagues. Monday was fine, as I just had to observe and take it all in, but on Tuesday, I had to fill in for my boss and lead a roundtable discussion.

If I had computer access, here's what I would have posted (instead, I wrote it long-hand in my notebook):

Self doubt is a bitch.
Here I am, day 2 in my new job, and my critical internal voice is chiding me, "What have you done? Why did you leave a perfectly good job where you knew everything and everyone liked you?"
I had to lead a discussion on digital communication at a conference for pharma companies. I was prepared, but the group was at times completely silent to my open-ended questions. Sure, I was thrown into the fire awfully early, but I figured I could handle it -- and SHOULD -- given my new title of SVP. Then, there was this jerk next to me who kept taking over the conversation and steering it back where I was trying to get away from. Figures, he's from another agency.

Today is better. First, I got a computer so I'm connected again. I also got to meet some of the wonderful, friendly people here at the NY office, and I was already able to pitch in and help on a current project. Everyone I've met has expressed their delight in having me join the team. I know I'm most likely my toughest critic, but I just hope I don't disappoint them.

4 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I'm sure everyone was slow to speak because they were so impressed by you. That and lack of coffee.

Remember you won this position with your obvious talents and charisma in the interview. New beginnings are always a little shakey. Hang on; its going to be a wild ride!

grandad says said...

Jenn's right. You got the talent. Relax and let it roll.

Unknown said...

Aaaah, I'm getting sweaty pits just thinking of the anxiety that comes with either a new job OR a presentation never mind both at once!! Chin up, you know you've got the pharma stuff nailed and are extremely talented at web presence development. I'm sure I've just mangled the lingo there, but, see, I don't know what I'm talking about -- YOU DO! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Em! Oh, I'm sure you're going to be just fine at your job. We all know you can do it!!!!! =)

Love ya,
Bevie