Thursday, June 07, 2007

Right time, right place, right person: Once

Our family is anxiously awaiting the newest member -- my sister Stephanie was having many regular contractions yesterday, but my new little niece stayed put for another night.

I went to the Angelika last night with a friend. (Kept my phone on vibrate just in case I got a call about the baby.) It's an artsy movie house that plays foreign films and other small budget productions. We saw Once, an Irish film about a singer/songwriter. I enjoyed it, but my friend - a guy - thought it was too slow. (It was his idea to go to the Angelika for a foreign film, so I didn't feel much pity for him.)

I was impressed that most of the songs performed were actually written by the actor/singer, Glen Hansard. He's so passionate when he sings, like he's pouring his heart out. Very powerful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, we wait and wait. Those contrax were/are mean but not ramping up. Swam with my fam tonight, hoping the greater range of motion would stir things up. Or down as needed. :) Will call you whenever the third strong-willed female of this house decides to make her grand entrance.
I'm a big fan of Fox Searchlight films but you do have to approach them with different expectations.