Tuesday, June 05, 2007

A Great Date

On Monday night, I was honored to witness a couple friends get married. They are both sweet, good people, and their wedding was attended by only family and close friends. The bride, Michelle, had asked me months ago who I would be bringing as my +1. I decided to take my dad, who had met the couple when he was visiting me a few years ago.

The church was beautiful, with exquisite stained glass windows, tiled floor and richly toned wood pews. The ceremony was Catholic and long, and two priests led the service. One of the priests was quite old, and between his manner of speaking and the echo from the tile floor, I had a hard time understanding him. Fortunately, the other priest gave the homily.

The reception was held at a local winery. The spacious, high-ceilinged room was bookended with large wine casks, and the open bar served their wine and several types of beer. Tasty hors d'ouvers were served while we waited for the bride and groom to finish with photography. Later, they served a buffet with pasta, pork tenderloin and marinated vegetables.

They had both a DJ and a live Salsa band, which rocked the room with its trumpets and saxophone, among other instruments. There was a lot of dancing, especially by the groom's father! I think he hardly sat down.

Still, I think the best part of the evening for me was when, as I dropped off my dad at the airport to return home, he told me, "you look beautiful."

2 comments:

get2eric said...

It was a lovely afternoon (not the weather!) and we had a nice time. Thanks.

paula said...

That is so lovely, how wonderful to take your dad as your "date". Love it XX