Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Travel Hell

I left the office Monday night and headed to the airport, as I was scheduled for a 7:30 flight to Cincinnati.

After a lovely (?) meal at the airport, they made an announcement that the plane was delayed 3 hours. It would now be arriving in Cinci at 2 a.m.! I decided to take a flight in the morning instead and have a nice sleep in my own bed. The only catch was I didn't get my checked luggage back. It went on to Cinci with all my toiletries and my special pillow. (I have a bad neck, and my pillow makes a huge difference in my comfort. This was the first time I decided to take it on a trip with me. Oh well!)

I stopped by the grocery store on the way home and picked up some make-do make-up. Steve was happy to have me home, even though I did have to get up early the next morning for another flight.

Since I had packed my black suit, I decided to wear my brown one. That is, until I clumsily splattered small droplets of the make-up I had just bought on the pants. Argh...it wasn't coming out, so I wore my last available suit.

Got to the airport on time, checked the monitors, and guess what? FLIGHT CANCELLED due to mechanical failure. Oh, geez.

I was able to catch a flight to Dayton, which is where I needed to end up that afternoon anyway. (I had a meeting in Cinci in the morning and was driving down with a colleague from there to a pitch in Dayton. I obviously missed the morning meeting, but I did finally make it to the pitch!)

The pitch was in the smallest, warmest conference room ever. There were 12 people crammed around a table, and the heat was almost unbearable. Our presentation was good, but the main decision maker was doing the slow blinks of sleepiness.

And, not to be outdone, our returning flight was delayed an hour. I finally got back to Dallas and found my luggage, which had travelled its own path to Cinci and back without me, and climbed into bed at 11 p.m.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

From Atlantic to Pacific, gee the traffic is terrific...oh, there's no place like Steph's for the holidays...

Anonymous said...

well all I can say ,emily , is..."everything happens for a reason" ...:o)sounds horrific though...:o( xx

Anonymous said...

This is a story worth sending to Reader's Digest...........or, better yet, the CEO of AMR.

This security word below looks like something from thw Welsh language.

Methyr tedfgyllargluthgliniog..

Nosta/Goodnight

Vetmommy said...

Well, I think we all have our travel horror stories for 2006... me getting stuck in Louisville, Steph and Aspen, Daddy being totally unable to get out of ELP for his reunion, you and ZinZinati (does Mommy have one I'm forgetting?)