Sunday, October 22, 2006

Just like the rest of us

On Friday, I flew up to Cincinnati for a client meeting and back to Dallas all in one day. It’s a grueling schedule, starting at 6 in the morning. And it’s on American Eagle. So much for their “more legroom” advertising campaign. This plane is cramped.

All I want to do when I get onboard the airplane is sleep, but I have to prepare for the meeting I’m going to since I haven’t had time this week to review the materials. Still, comfort is important.

Before we take off, a small child is screaming loudly somewhere behind me. Great, I think. (I love children, but when I’m travelling, especially this early in the morning, my patience for them is greatly reduced.)

Then the person behind me keeps messing with my seat back. Any traveller expects some jostling as people get settled, but this just keeps going and going. I finally do the half-turn of my head to signal my annoyance, thinking perhaps this person is so self-absorbed they don’t realize the effect they are having on me.

The woman sitting next to me says, “Do you know who that is?”

Since I didn’t actually turn all the way around and see the person’s face, I say, “No.”

“It’s Daryl Johnson!” (former Cowboys football player and local celebrity)

I turn around again, and sure enough, it is.

“He keeps bumping my seat,” I explain to my neighbor.

Celebrity or no, he should still be more considerate.

I’m not one to get too excited about celebrities. When I was about fourteen, visiting my aunt in California, we saw Sylvester Stalone at an outdoor shopping mall. I was so excited and politely asked him for his autograph. He was so rude to me, not even glancing my way, signing the paper and disdainfully handing it back to me while blowing cigar smoke. I was so unimpressed, I threw the autograph away. Since then, I’ve seen Jamie Lee Curtis at an airport (she’s angular and too thin) and had the opportunity to meet Paula Zahn (I was a big fan at the time, and a bit starstruck. She was also rail thin and looked like she needed to eat. Still, she was polite and let me take a picture with her. I have no idea where that snapshot is now.)

I guess I adhere to the idea that they are just human beings like me. We all put our pants on one leg at a time. We all have our foibles and our baggage, our own crosses to carry, even if some are better at concealing theirs than others.

5 comments:

paula said...

We only tend to see anyone famous if we go over to Liverpool or Manchester and then it is usually soap stars that we bump into, I never tend to let on to them really apart from a little smile as I'm always convinced they'd be arrogant (this is probably really too harsh from me) but I know I'd be mortified if I asked for an autograph and was blanked. I did nearly run over a Coronation Street star once in Altrincham (they were coming out of a chippy and were too busy snarfing up chips to see me coming out of a side street).

Unknown said...

Oh man, now Paula's got me craving some nice greasy chips in newspaper...ohhh...

Daryl Johnson, really? Moose? I had such a crush on him back in the day. He was a hottie with a smooth, easy voice on his radio show. Now he's older and married (to a woman I modeled with in college) and not as fetching...especially if he knees my sister's chair on a regional jet and takes no notice! Oh, but just to be fair, he's HUGE Em, so maybe he literally was butting up against your seatback with his knees. His nickname was Moose afterall...

Emily said...

Yeah, he is pretty tall, and he's still pretty cute, Steph!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Flying with celebrities,huh?

Oh, and I know about screaming kids on planes! When we flew up to NY, I had a grumpy two year old across the row from me and drove me INSAINE! I couldn't help but to think of my cousins' awesome ability(Jenn and Steph) at raising kids the whole way there. The mother of this toddler catered to him the entire time
,"Sweetise, do you want playdough, how about cars, oh, what about a book?"
Talk about brain overload for the little guy. He had it and finally threw a fit.Three hours of this! UG. At one point I didn't think I could handle another rendition of the song "Elmo's World"! Luckily, at this point our pilot was touching us down at JFK. Whew!

Sorry for hoggin' your commenting space.

XOXOXO!

Anonymous said...

WOW! Flying with celebrities,huh?

Oh, and I know about screaming kids on planes! When we flew up to NY, I had a grumpy two year old across the row from me and drove me INSAINE! I couldn't help but to think of my cousins' awesome ability(Jenn and Steph) at raising kids the whole way there. The mother of this toddler catered to him the entire time
,"Sweetise, do you want playdough, how about cars, oh, what about a book?"
Talk about brain overload for the little guy. He had it and finally threw a fit.Three hours of this! UG. At one point I didn't think I could handle another rendition of the song "Elmo's World"! Luckily, at this point our pilot was touching us down at JFK. Whew!

Sorry for hoggin' your commenting space.

XOXOXO!