Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Bad News

I had a regular dental cleaning appointment this afternoon. I haven't had any major problems, but I did mention I've had periodic sensitivity in the top left teeth. Nothing overwhelming. I figured it was a small cavity.

"Which one? Second from the back or third from the back?"

I'm not sure. Can't really specify.

"Oh...it looks like you have a hairline crack across both of those teeth."

WHAT?!?

Oh yes, since I clench and grind my teeth at night, I have created two new cracked teeth. (My first cracked tooth resulted in my first crown earlier this year.)

And it gets better! Since the other crown was also in this calendar year, I'm nearing the end of what my insurance will cover. I have to pay an additional $2000 out of pocket for these lovely crowns.

"The sooner you get this done, the better."

How soon is soon?

"Tomorrow wouldn't be a bad idea. If you wait, they may crack deeper, requiring root canals. The deeper the divide goes, you may not even be able to save the tooth with a root canal and that would require extraction."

I am too young to have a partial! I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. And I am NOT a morning person.

1 comment:

Vetmommy said...

Oh no! That's too bad, Em. I hope the crown placement goes well.