Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The View from North Carolina

I'm in North Carolina this week for work. Here through Thursday, since I'm participating in two new business pitches (Tuesday and Thursday) and decided it didn't make sense to fly back and forth in between.

It's GREEN here. It rained this morning. The steady, hard rain that I haven't seen in so long. It was welcome to the natives, but since I didn't have an umbrella and was in a suit and had curled my hair, I wasn't thrilled. My suit ended up damp, especially the extra long cuffs on the bottom of my pants, and my hair went its own direction. Some flat, some frizzy. Great first impression!

Our pitch today went OK. One of our VPs was with us and made a point of reminding us in the car ride over our rule of not interrupting to add something unless it adds three times the value. His part of the presentation was at the beginning, and then another colleague and I passed back and forth through the middle. HE INTERRUPTED EVERY SLIDE. I finally had to pass him a note and ask him to PLEASE not add some comment on EVERY slide.

Tomorrow, I'll be working via telephone and internet all day, and then preparing for pitch #2. They have a really dinky gym here that I used today, and the food at the hotel is just passable. But at least my remaining colleague and I tonight went out for a nice dinner. (I had lobster! Yum.)

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Don't you love that gentle NC accent? Especially the way they say "out" - ahhuuuht. I can't duplicate it, not written or orally. NC is a beautiful state.

Sorry about all the interruptions. I think the senior level people sometimes feel they have to expound on what you said and get the last word in, so that in their minds they still appear authoritative and superior. An-NOY-ing!

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, Em!

paula said...

Good for you for telling the guy to not interrupt you all the time. I think I'd have stamped on his foot.