Monday, July 17, 2006

Thirty-nine

(No, not me! It's Steve!)

As the fifth of six children growing up in a lean family, Steve only remembers having one birthday party. I set out to make up for that with this year's birthday.

Beginning on July 1st, I gave him a small gift to open each day leading up to his actual b-day, the 15th. His boyish grin and enthusiasm about opening these gifts was delightful to watch. Most of them were small things -- special cycling socks, boxers, camping soap, a shirt -- and others were sentimental, such as frames for his pictures of his kids.

I call Steve my Mr. Sentimental, and I think the best reaction I got from a gift was the framed collage I had made for him of pictures of his kids and him. I dug around the house finding pictures from the past, and there were several he hadn't seen in awhile. It brought a tear to his eye.

We finished off the birthday celebration on Saturday with a trip to the Dallas Art Museum, a visit to the Farmer's Market, and dinner at Cool River, where we met 10 months ago. He declared it his best birthday ever.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, has it really been 10 months?! So happy you've found someone who makes you happy :)

And what a fab idea for a birthday present - he's a lucky chap!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Steve!
Beverly/M

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU Emily for making my birthday the best ever!

The photo's of my daughter and son and the copies of the "Berlin Wall" photo's are very special to me. I've been trying to get copies of the Berlin photos from my friend Cris for 19 years!

Yes, no doubt, I am VERY LUCKY to have a woman like Emily!

Steve

Unknown said...

Emily is the most loving and caring person I know*. Whoever is the recipient of her affections is lucky beyond words. Here's to the birthday boy, one lucky 39 yr old

*and I am a self-appointed expert on her, after all, it was me who spent countless hours participating in her elaborate Barbie/Ken/domesticity schemes.

Vetmommy said...

I know you were as excited about the birthday planning as the birthday boy. I'm glad it was an appreciated success!

paula said...

Such a brilliant idea for Steve's birthday! Happy Birthday Steve and remember, whatever people say to you, at 39 we are not old!!