Friday, April 14, 2006

The Wrath of God

Last night I had dinner with my gay-boyfriend Daniel. It's his birthday today, and he's 22! So much of life ahead of him. He's such a sweetheart and a really great friend.

He's been struggling with his religion (Christianity) and his sexuality. He has been going to a church regularly and finally talked to the pastor. This pastor actually told him if he continues to lead a gay lifestyle, he will get AIDS as his punishment from God.

I wholeheartedly, vehemently disagree with this! And how awful that this minister is spreading this nonsense!

According to this theory, you could say that people who get cancer are being punished for some sin. Even children get cancer. Guess they should have been better behaved.

What about the Christian idea that we are ALL sinners? I guess everyone of us is just a moment away from a deadly disease. I know I've made some huge mistakes in my life. What does that deserve?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How coincidental that you wrote about Daniel today - I was just thinking about him yesterday and I was going to write and ask you how he is doing. He was such a pleasant young man at our Thanksgiving Dinner last year. How awful that a "man of the cloth" would make him feel so bad. Please give him my best the next time you see or talk to him.
Love, M

Anonymous said...

That is so wrong isn't it!!! I had an acquaintance that believed that if you are born with a disability or a dreadful disease it is your "punishment" for your sins in a past life. I really struggle with that one!! Especially when you think of young children with dreadful illnesses. Daniel should be able to live his life as he chooses too, he sounds like a lovely bloke.

Anonymous said...

Now THIS is the sort of thing that NOBODY but NOBODY dare say to ME!!!! I am a Christian through and through...I don't lie or cheat or intentionally do anyone any harm..I do NOT believe that we are 'punished' (in this life anyway) we ALL have some sort of cancer inside us and sometimes all it takes is a knock to set it off (I know this from experience)as for saying that to Daniel because his sexual leanings do not comply with half the Worlds' sexual leanings..is madness and in my opinion the Pastor is no true follower of God. I believe 'Gays' (as they wish to be called) are BORN with WHO they are...NOT as a punishment...God does NOT work like that..He loves us all..oops get off the soap box ,Norma...just a last word on the subject..I have known quite a few 'gays'in my life and I have enjoyed their company tremendously...xx

Anonymous said...

Amen Aunty Norma! My own gay boyfriend struggles with this issue as well because of his religious background. His brother has told him that he's going to hell because he's gay, but he knows that there are people that love him for who he is and don't believe any of that bullshit!