Tuesday, April 25, 2006

New Beginnings

I mentioned in a previous post (A Fresh Start) that I'm moving soon. Although I have loved the little house in Valley Ranch, my parents have decided to sell it, and I've decided not to buy it. (Many factors involved in each of these decisions, but there are no hard feelings.)

While I was searching for a new place to lay my head, Steve asked me to move in with him. He has a large house in Trophy Club, a suburb west of the airport. We debated it for several weeks and came to an agreement that this is something we both want. He's the most wonderful man I've ever known, and I love spending time with him. Whether we are doing something or nothing, just being with Steve makes it more fun.

The house is being renovated by its current owners -- Steve and I have put in a few weekends already painting, resurfacing the ceilings and generally cleaning up. Our next projects include new carpet, new tile and an overhaul of the kitchen. It's exciting to plan and work on it together, and we both can envision the house's potential.

I planted a vegetable garden at "our" house last weekend, and it's my most ambitious yet: tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, carrots, peas, zucchini squash, basil and sage. I'm going to have to expand the garden already, because I also have oregano, strawberries and mint to plant!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now this is seriously exciting sweetpea - it is so lovely planning a house together and the garden sounds amazing. Best wishes to you both XXX

Unknown said...

Congrats! Just make sure he allots enough room for your shoes... ;)

Vetmommy said...

Wow, that is big news! I'm glad you will have a big garden, too - hopefully no bitter cucumbers this year!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun! Be careful where you plant the mint--it's terribly invasive and will spread all over your garden. I usually keep mine in a container as a patio plant b/c I don't have the time or patience to keep it in check in the garden. Best wishes for your new home!

Anonymous said...

Oh,Emily,how exciting!and to start a new garden is too...I have planted a Courgette (Zuccini to Americans) Red Pepper, Outdoor Girl Tomatoes..lettuce and white Icicle ..a lovely mild white radish much more crunchy that the red and not as peppery..Lisbon salad onions...Parsley and chives whew! Emily,if you would like to see the BBC Gardeners Forum I can send you the Link...people ask all sorts of questions on there and you will find it interesting...by the way..when you DO change address please let me have it...xx

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily, Glad you got a gardenm too! It's a little too late for the strawberries, but given some shade you might get lucky. I must warn you about the mint. It's best to plant it in a container or know that you may have to dig out half of it annually. It can take over EVERYTHING!zyzfyek