Wednesday, April 19, 2006

A Fresh Start

I needed a new blog template. What do you think? (I think my sister Jenn will like that I picked a green one!)

I've been making quite a few changes in my life lately. After a grueling 9 months, I finally got relieved of my duties on a particular project at work. I'm now actually enjoying my work again and my coworkers have noted that I'm smiling more!

I also changed hairdressers. After going to the same guy for 10 years, I decided to make a change after he stood me up and wasn't truly apologetic. It's tough, because I know he needs the work, but as a paying customer, I deserve better.

I'm moving soon. More on that later.

I'm thinking about changing massage therapists, too. Similar to the hairdresser, I've been seeing my masseuse for 11 years. I've referred several friends to her and often given her gift certificates to other friends. For the past couple years, I've been seeing her once a month or so, but lately it seems she's more aggressive about me coming in or buying various products. It seems it's all about the money.

I realize this is her business, but when I originally met her, I felt she was a very soulful person. Maybe it's because massage is a personal service -- someone is rubbing your body -- but I need to feel safe. Feeling pressured to buy! buy! buy! doesn't help me relax.

Plus, I found a new masseuse! She's closer to me, cheaper and stronger. It's just hard trying to figure out what to say to the one I've been seeing. Breaking up is never easy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely love the new template Em, really cool. Think it's only fair that you have a new hairdresser, if the other one stood you up and wasn't even really sorry then he should get told to sod off as far as I'm concerned - sometimes familiarity isn't such a good thing. Same goes for massage therapists. I know you feel loyal towards her but if you aren't completely happy anymore you'll just get more and more stressed each time you visit her and it kind of cancels out all the good work of the massage. Really pleased that you are more happy at work as well, sounds really uplifting Em, soooo very proud of you!!! Can't wait to hear about the other stuff XXX

Anonymous said...

It's not breaking up, it's a decision to make a change.

Remember, you are paying a fee for these services. I'm a believer, if they really valued you they would have treated you better.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Well said, Steve, I agee!
Love, M

Vetmommy said...

Yes, I do like the new blog template. Sometimes you just have to refresh things. I also like your rewording of things.

I went to a new hairdresser after seeing just one for about 6 years. I felt a little guilty - until I got my new haircut! It made me feel so great. I realized that although I liked the old hairdresser, he cut my hair the exact same way for all that time, even when I wanted something different. He was good, but change is good, too.

I really like Steve's comments too.

Anonymous said...

I agee two

Anonymous said...

I really like the new style of your blog, Em!

I think that's a good decision about dropping your hairdresser!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO!

Anonymous said...

OH,DEAR!!!! where is my comments?? I filled in a form which is different to this ...ugh ugh wot 'ave I done???

Unknown said...

Ha ha Daddy, having fun at Mommy's expense -- you better kiss her and make nice when she gets home!

Em, I am a firm believer, variety is the spice of life. Even though I have therapists I love in Dallas, Houston, and Cabo, if I had to have that same therapist do all my massages they wouldn't feel as magical. I do like only sport or deep tissue (none of that lightly swooshing fingertips on my skin stuff) but each therapist has their own unique moves. And I whole-heartedly agree with your walking away from the sales-pitching. I like near-complete silence after a little small talk, afterward I pay my money and I'm outa there. Oh, and I have a pet peeve about the ones who try to suggest how I breathe during the massage. I couple of comments like "breathe deeply" are fine, but I don't need LOUD LONG example inhales to get the point

Can't wait to see your new haircut.