Thursday, April 13, 2006

Ready to Run

The gauntlet has been thrown down. The date has been set. Now I just have to get my butt in shape!

My sister Jennifer has challenged me to join her in participating in the Danskin Women's Triathlon in June. After last year's adventure races, this is taking it to the next level. I've never done a triathlon, but completing the adventure races last year gave me some confidence.

My biggest weakness is running, followed by biking. I'm not concerned about the swimming, which is only 1/2 mile. The run is 3.1 mile (5K), and the bike portion is 12 miles in the hilly roads around Austin. BIG hills. [gulp!]

I took Jenn's advice and rode my bike down to a local middle school where they have a nice track. I turned on my iPod as I started to jog, deciding on Dixie Chicks. The first song up was "Ready to Run." I chuckled to myself, how appropriate!

I jogged one lap, then walked 1/2 and jogged 1/2 for two laps. By then, I was toast. But I still had to ride home.

I took a route that included a fairly good hill. At least biking and jogging use slightly different muscles!

By the time I got home, my face was so red, it bordered on purple. Exercise is definitely not good for my rosacea. But the rest of me felt pretty good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it!. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's great your going to do the triathalon!!!!!!!!!! GO EMILY!

You can do it!!!!!!! *echo what daddy said*

XOXOXOXOXO!

Vetmommy said...

I am so thrilled and proud of you for committing to the race. Regina says she's going to do it, too.

Your "cross-training" sounds like a very good first start! Keep up little challenges like that and you'll do fine. I haven't gone swimming yet but I am also not worried about that event. I worked on jogging today at lunch - some on the elliptical, some on the treadmill.

Viva Terlingua!

Anonymous said...

You all make me feel so fatigued hahaha keep it up,Em. xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Em, you go for it!!!! I have every faith in you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Run Emily Run! S