Monday, January 09, 2006

Relationship Homework

I got a voicemail message from a friend today asking for an update on Steve. I guess I've been hesitant to post anything because 1)not many of you commented to my New Year post about giving it another go, and 2)I didn't want to jinx it.

Besides, who wants to hear I'm happy? How entertaining is that?

(I think I was a more witty blogger when I had a more tumultous dating life, but oh well!)

Things are going swimmingly, wonderfully well. Last week, he even went with me to see my counselor Jo. (Bonus points for Steve!) Jo helped us see some similarities in our family histories and gave us "relationship homework" to help us discuss our values and communication styles. (We haven't finished it yet.) The visit with her was REALLY interesting, and Steve and I agreed it was actually fun. It's so great to be in a relationship where I can really be honest with him about how I feel and when I'm scared. And Steve has been very supportive, understanding and flexible. He's allowing me the space I need to be myself.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY! I want to hear that you're happy!! I want you to know that I support any decision you make. I want you to be happy and you deserve it Em!

Unknown said...

Hell - logic dictates that for all the women out there currently tearing their hair out over men, there has to be at least ONE who's managing to make a success of her relationship! Please let us know that it's actually possible to hold down a functional relationship with a male of the species...

Anonymous said...

Emily!!!! I've been waiting and holding my breath to see how it all went. I am soooo happy that it is working out, I think it's such a positive sign that he is willing to go and see Jo with you, it shows that he is supportive and serious about making you happy. Like Kelley I support any decision you make and also want you to be happy!!! Go for it hon!!!! XXX

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the time with Jo went well! We ALL stand behind whatever decision you make.....I sound like a parrot repeating what everyone else has said....but its true!

Have a great day!

Love ya,
Bevie

Anonymous said...

...."and so say all of us"..you guessed right,Em, when you said we were perhaps all holding our breath hahaha not any more though.. very happy when you are .. but then you know that don't you.xx

Anonymous said...

See? I wasn't the only one who was interested!!

LL

Vetmommy said...

Happiness may be boring, but we are all happy for you.

Anonymous said...

Why is Dad always the last one to know? May be the long cruises , huh?
Missed reading the blogs whilst NYEing on Galaxy.
Anyway, glad things are going swimmingly.

Anonymous said...

Well you see,Daddy Eric..things 'happen' when you go on Cruises!! it was ON..then it was OFF..now we are all happy that it is back ON!! wha..? oh, Emily and Steve..:o) xx