Monday, September 12, 2005

W.A.R. II

Yesterday was my second Women's Adventure Race, and I'm happy to report I could tell a marked improvement in my performance!

It was held on a large YMCA camp ground west of Fort Worth. The drive was long, especially with the astronomical gas prices, but the venue was really gorgeous. Similar to last time, there was a run, bike, water event and another bike portion. But Jenn and I agreed the run should have been called a hike. There were very steep climbs that no one was running through. We did run on the straighter areas, though.

The bike section was so scenic through the woods. Jenn led most of the time, although we switched a couple times. The only slow part was the areas drenched in sand. You just cannot keep bike wheels turning through deep sand. We had to get off our bikes and walk them through that part, but otherwise, I didn't have to stop to catch my breath at all, unlike last time. It also helped that I got us CamelBacks to carry water and easily drink throughout the race.

The kayak that Jennifer mentioned in her recent post, Keep Austin Weird, was pretty small. We practiced the day before (on dry land) and figured we could get our butts in but would have to straddle the boat and keep our legs out. Once in the water, our legs were dragging us down and Jenn kept hitting my leg with her paddle. I jumped out, almost capsizing her, and grabbed the back of the boat and kicked. She said, "I can't see you, but I can hear you!" With her paddling and my flutter kick, we made it around the pond.

Then back on the bikes, and this time we didn't have to stop for the mystery events. The mystery events were pretty much all the same as the Austin race. I think we were both a little disappointed that there wasn't anything new, but I also felt more prepared, knowing what was coming.

All in all, it was a great day. Anthony's parents came out with his nephew Andrew and the kids, Anna & Colin. The day was overcast, which kept the heat down. I was exhausted afterwards (and didn't do much of anything the rest of the day), but I'm actually not too sore today. I feel ready for the next one!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome,Em!
I'm so glad to hear you noticed a positive difference in your endurance between this race and the last....WHA-WHO! I hope you and Jenn continue to embark on these adventures...they sound like alot of fun - not to mention the great exercise. =) Love-Bevie-

Unknown said...

Oh great Em! I read your post with enthusiasm and got clear visuals on how the whole thing went based on your descriptive narrative. Got pictures of anything when you get a chance???

Vetmommy said...

I'm glad you had a good time, Em, because you were AWESOME! I know you got tired but you didn't quit! And, we were only like 20 minutes behind the winners! A good time was had by all.

Anonymous said...

Such a good report!

Mommy and I were thinking of you both all morning and sooo glad you called at noon.

Like TwoShoes, I would love to see pics....when you can.

AWESOME job!

Anonymous said...

Final family member logging on with congrats on another awesome job! You Go Girl!!!! Love, M

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the both of you! I was waiting to see how you did - sounds like you both did terrific - Well Done!!