Sunday, September 04, 2005

My leisurely (?) Saturday

I'm in Austin this weekend. Not for rest and relaxation, but for lots of toddler watching and running-behind and exercise! My sister Jennifer and I are practicing for next weekend's adventure race, and since Jenn is in such awesome shape, I'm trying to prove that she won't have to wait for me as much as the last race.

It's so wonderful to be around Colin and Anna. Colin calls me "Eno-wee." All L's are pronounced with a W sound. It's very cute. Anna is four-years-old and so much her own person now. She has a great imagination and loves to play pretend with her stuffed animals and other toys.

Anna had to get a vaccination today, and once we got there, it turned out Colin needed a booster, too. Anna was so brave. I told her to take a deep breath and to blow it out hard when she felt the shot. By the time she blew it out, the shot was over. She didn't even say "Ow."

Unfortunately, Colin's wasn't so easy. He said "Ow, my arm!" alarmingly as he began to wail. Since mom had been nearest to him when the nurse gave him this terrible surprise, he reached out for Auntie Emily to save him. He quickly got over it once we got back to the waiting room and sat down to watch the fish in the fish tank. I rubbed his arm while he wasn't paying attention, hoping to spread the vaccine and reduce the soreness later.

Since I'm staying in Colin's room in the bed next to his crib, I didn't get a lot of sleep. He awoke screaming at 1 a.m. and woke up at 7:30 in the morning. I tried to sleep a bit longer, but I could hear both him and Anna anxiously awaiting my awakening.

Once Colin took his nap this afternoon, Jenn said, "Let's go!" We took a bike ride around the neighborhood to the lap pool with Anna in the bike trailer behind Jenn. Once at the pool, we swam a few laps, pushing Anna on a float and encouraging her to swim along side us.

Jenn made a beautiful, tasty dinner: salmon, eggplant, zucchini and sweet potatoes on the grill, and bruchetta made from homegrown, garden fresh tomatoes and basil. It's only 9 p.m. but I'm ready to go to bed. I just have to wait for Colin to fall asleep before I can sneak in there!

2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Hey Em, glad you enjoyed the dinner, but YOU made the bruschetta (even suggested it) - chopping the 'maters, basil, etc, and slicing the bread. Also, you did all the after dinner bath stuff.

You deserved that good dinner and a good night's sleep after that workout. She didn't slow down once on the bike, folks!

Anonymous said...

Glad your having fun with the kids! I enjoy coming to visit them...I love waking up to Colin sticking his head out of his crib- just staring at you....waiting patiently for you to get up!
As for your training...GO, EM! From Jenn's comment sounds like you did well! =)Hope you have a great Labor Day! Love-Bevie-