Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A New Challenge

Inspired by my buff, athletic, older sis, I have agreed to join her in the Women's Adventure Race. (Part of me is thinking, what the hell are you doing?)

Jennifer just finished her first triathlon, and I've warned her that I will most likely slow her down, but she assured me this race is fun and suited for beginners.

It has three parts: running, biking and a water leg in which you use a watercraft/floating device you have bought or made. I'm most concerned with the running. Currently, I don't run. I've never considered myself a runner. I consider myself an asthmatic.

But, I'm excited about taking on this challenge! I've never been very athletic, (oh, who I am I kidding, I've never been AT ALL athletic), but I think if I start slow and work my way up, I can make it through the race. At lunch today, I bought some good running shoes as a financial and emotional commitment. Now, I just have to get a bike...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far, I'm impressed. :-) I remember how we had to throw you back in the water in St. Louis.
Maybe they'll let you use your m'bike????
You know, the time doesn't matter, it's doing it that counts.

Good Luck Em.

Vetmommy said...

I did not think I could run either, but I started slowly, and then suddenly, I could run 2 miles with ease, 3 miles if I pushed a little. We can walk/jog. I am excited. We can do it! Celebrating teamwork and women's abilities is the spirit of this race.

Anonymous said...

You go Girl!!! I know you can do it as with all other things you set your mind to, you eventually accomplish them with great skill. Only wish I was more fit to join my 2 beautiful daughters. I am with you all the way in spirit!! Love, M