Monday, June 06, 2005

Mi Cocina

My favorite Mexican food restaurant in Dallas is Mi Cocina. I've been to almost all of their locations, from Richardson to Highland Park. And I was thrilled when I moved to Valley Ranch to find one there.

Most of the waiters and staff know me by now. I go in there probably once a week. One of my favorite times is late Saturday morning for brunch. I take a magazine and eat Chilequiles, scrambled eggs mixed with tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and tortilla strips, served with beans, a side salad and tortillas. Mmm... And Mi Cocina's salsa is simply the best. I usually eat at least two bowls-full.

This past Saturday, I slept in late after an exciting evening of novel-reading. (I got caught up in this book and was crying when one of the characters got close to death from cancer. I had to finish it and ended up reading until 1:40 a.m.) So I decided to go to brunch with Oprah magazine at my local Mi Cocina. No makeup, hair in ponytail, workout clothes on for my gym visit later in the day.

I'm sitting there enjoying my solitude and Oprah articles when I notice at one of the other tables is this guy from work that I have a huge crush on! (He started working for the company in December. He's gorgeous and so nice and unfortunately practically engaged.) He's eating with two women, one of whom I assume is his almost-fiance (who's BEAUTIFUL), and he's facing my direction. Oh, please, don't notice me on today of all days. I know he lives downtown, and I was a little peeved he was at MY Mi Cocina.

I managed to avoid any "meetings of the eyes" and slunk out as unobtrusively as possible. My waiter held the door for me and said "See you tomorrow!"
(No, I don't go that often. It was a joke!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate it when that happens - no makeup and you see someone you know! M

Vetmommy said...

Yes, Mi Cocina rules. I wonder how the Houston location is (Steph?)? Probably wouldn't translate to Austin, just like Chuy's didn't to the Metroplex.

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, the Houston location is doomed. It smells like sewer doo doo. No matter how many ceremonial rounds they make with sizzlin fajitas/onions (yes they do that) it doesn't go away. Doomed.

I have a new thing, I go everywhere with no makeup now. It's all about managing expectations. This way, when they see you WITH makeup they're like, ooooh, wow, nice! Besides, Emily, you have the BEST skin of all of us. Go out and hold that chin up high.

...now I hope I got that song from Charlotte's Web stuck in your head. Hee hee.