Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Home Sweet (Hot as Hell) Home

Regretfully, I had to leave beautiful Seattle and the warm, welcoming home of the Brooks Family to return to my demanding job and the ever-present Texas heat. When I boarded the plane in Seattle, it was 61*. When we landed here, it was 91* at 8:30 p.m. Ugh. The heat hits you like a wall and zaps your strength.

I'm really dragging ass today... partially due to the two hour time change and partially due to having to work instead of play. And my next two weeks are going to be crazy busy: I'm travelling on Friday to Houston for the twins' 2nd birthday party, leaving there on Sunday to fly to Philadelphia for a pitch on Monday. I'll be in the office on Tuesday, and I leave again on Wednesday for New York for another pitch. At least I'm racking up the frequent flier miles, but each of those trips is on a different airline.

I had such a good time in Seattle. It's really scenic, and so different from Dallas. I still can't believe I've been here 11 years, and part of me yearns for a change.

Oh, one funny story I forgot to tell in my previous post. When Lindsey took me out with her friends on Friday night, I was talking to this guy at the bar. The guy next to him, who at first I thought was with the guy I was talking to, asked me who I was there with. I motioned that I was there with my cousin, and saw the look on Lindsey's face when he approached her. So I asked him a question to get him away from her. I can't remember what the question was, but when he replied, I told him not to lie to me because I was a cop and could tell if someone was lying. He had heard I was from Dallas and said, "You're a cop in Dallas? There's some bad stuff going on there." And I nodded, saying "Yeah, it's some scary shit." He also grabbed my bicep and his eyes widened when I flexed. (I have been working out, you know.) The guise did the trick...he backed off and left us alone, and I called out to him, "Now, you be careful tonight." ha ha ha!

4 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Ha ha ha, you're such a liar.

I love the cheese pic.

Anonymous said...

Great post Emily and good pix too.
I think you woulda been a good cop but I'm glad you're not.
Imagine all that travel.

Anonymous said...

The last comment was from me and, though it's the end of a loverly evening, I am not quite anonymous

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming and visiting us, it was great to see you!!! Here are some things to remember from your trip:

-"I only have one kidney!”
-It’s hard to hear people talking when you’re crunching
-Taco Bell at 3:30 a.m.
-Don’t talk to guys sitting down
-Don’t mess with cops from TX, where’s the gun show?
-Teeny tiny strawberries
-Artichoke ice cream cones
-Don’t leave home without a jacket, it might pour

Sorry the weather wasn’t all that nice, but that just means you’ll have to come again!