Saturday, February 05, 2011

Celebrating Victories

I went on a hike/walk today. That may not seem like a big accomplishment, and normally, since I consider myself in training for my next triathlon, it's not to me. But I got felled by a nasty case of food poisoning this week, and it knocked the...well, everything out of me. I'm rebuilding slowly, and today was the first day I felt a little stronger. So the walk felt especially precious, and I enjoyed it immensely.

As I walked along the uneven path, I couldn't help but think about how similar it is to life in general. Some really rough patches, but some easy and smooth. Sometimes there were others on the path with me, and sometimes I was all alone. At one point, while I was alone, I came to the end of the path. I looked up and down but couldn't find where the path went. It seemed to have disappeared. I decided to cross over what looked like a dried up river bed, and it was challenging to walk over the rocks set in different angles. I got to the other side, and I found a new path open up to me. I smiled and thought how that has happened in my life so many times. Just when I think the path has disappeared completely, I find a new path.

Ten years ago, I was recovering from my second divorce. Part of that recovery included filing for backruptcy. Part of the debt was truly mine, and part of it was from each of my exes. All of it was overwhelming. But filing for bankruptcy wasn't easy. It affects your credit rating for seven years, but it stays on your record for ten. During that first seven years, there were many times when I was travelling for work and was expected to cover my expenses, filing an expense report afterwards for reimbursement. I had a credit card with a $300 limit, which doesn't go far when you're travelling often or to large cities. More than once I relied on my colleagues to help, but that meant explaining to them why I needed the help. It was a humbling experience, but it guaranteed that I wouldn't make the same mistakes again. I built up a positive credit rating slowly, and learned how to live within my means.

And this month marks the 10 year anniversary when it will be off my record for good. I am proud of what I have accomplished. And I'm really glad that's over! On to the next path...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,you posted : "On to the next path..." well,lovey,I certainly hope it's not a rocky one and that this is the one where you meet the 'older man' that I envisaged for you. :) xx



A.Norma.

jman said...

Congratulations EJ! It is unfortunate that your path has had what seems to be more than its share of boulders in it, but you've overcome them all and continue on your path unbowed. Kudos to you. Wishing you nothing but a road that sloped gently downhill with a nice vista all around going forward. And a nice piece of writing too.

Vetmommy said...

Good for you, making it 10 years. Whether its that decade or this January, time is flying!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's amazing!

get2eric said...

It ain't easy all the time is it?

My Dad had a thing he would say often. "It's a great life if you don't weaken"

Thankfully there are more good times than bad......so it seems to me, anyway.

Nice piece Em

Anonymous said...

I get it it....