Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"All I want is to be happy being who I am..."

A couple weeks ago, I watched an incredible movie. I've always been moved by music, and this foreign film's plot revolves around the role music can play in our lives. It's a Swedish film called "As It is in Heaven" and the climactic song is "Gabriella's Song." I've been singing the English translation to the music and wish I could record it for the English-speaking world. Here are the translated lyrics, but I encourage you to watch the clip of the film on YouTube, linked below:

It is now that my life is mine.
I've got this short time on earth
And my longing has brought me here
All I lacked and all I gained
And yet it's the way that I chose
My trust was far beyond words
That has shown me a little glimpse
Of the heaven I've never found.

I want to feel I'm alive
All my living days
I will live as I desire
I want to feel I'm alive
Knowing I was good enough

I have never lost who I was
I have only left it sleeping
Maybe I never had a choice
Just the will to stay alive

All I want is to be happy
Being who I am
To be strong and to be free
To see day arise from night
I am here and my life is only mine
And the heaven I thought was there
I'll discover it here somewhere
I want to feel that I've lived my life!


1 comment:

jman said...

Actually if you count them she wanted more than just to be happy being who she was - there were 3 other things she wanted just in the 3 verses alone. And what if she was a despicable person, is it ok then that she is happy with who she is while everyone around her is miserable or worse? And my guess is that once she gets all she wants she will find a few more items to add to the list. It's human nature. Give me a profound, thought provoking song like Yummy Yummy Yummy I've Got Love in My Tummy any day.

In any event, I always think of happiness as something intense and therefore shortlived while contentment, which is much more even keeled, is really what we strive for. Or so it says here.