Sunday, June 27, 2010

As Long as I'm Here...

I feel like my head is spinning lately. There is SO much going on, I can barely keep up.

My Internet access at home has been out for a WEEK. It's so frustrating. When I called last Sunday, they said the first available appointment was on Friday. So I wasn't thrilled but of course I took it. When the guy came out, he switched out my modem but was unable to fix the larger issue which seems to be how the signal is coming into the whole building. He called the main office, but as it was 5:20 p.m. on Friday, no one answered. They said it should be fixed by Monday. We'll see.

I've been trying to finalize movers and an apartment in Austin, and starting to pack up my stuff. That always makes me purge more, too, so I've got some bags ready for the Salvation Army.

Meanwhile, I'm in London! Last week my presence was requested for a big client meeting with some of my UK colleagues. I got in this morning, will meet with my colleagues tomorrow at the London office to prepare for the meeting. On Tuesday, we all fly out to Basel, Switzerland. Our meeting is Wednesday morning, then it's back to London late Wednesday and back to NYC Thursday morning. A very quick trip for such great cities. But I came in today so I could get adjusted. Jet lag is such a drag! I tried sleeping on the plane but only got a couple hours. I did have to take a nap this afternoon but tomorrow should be good.

Since I was here on Sunday, I decided to head over to St. Paul's Cathedral for a service. The concierge at my hotel said the service started at 12 noon, so I got there on time...and realized it actually started at 11:30. I walked in during the sermon. But I was still able to enjoy the last 60 minutes of the service, including incredibly beautiful choir music. I couldn't see them from where I was sitting, but the marble floors and domed ceilings produced a beautiful echo effect. The altos sounded a bit immature to me, but the sopranos were pure and perfectly pitched. Their high voices soared in the cathedral. When I got up for communion (the program said anyone who takes communion at their home church is welcome), I saw the choir for the first time: they were all men and boys! That explained what I had heard in the alto and soprano voices.

Later, I walked across the Millennium Bridge and visited the Shakespeare Globe Theater museum.


I had dinner at a tasty Indian restaurant, and when I left, the waiter gave me a single rose! Then I walked up to Westminster, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament to walk off the food and lager a bit and enjoyed the sunset light on the buildings.


I just wish I had more time to take a quick trip North to see my family! But I have to get back to NYC and finish packing. Looks like the July 4th holiday weekend will be my best opportunity.

4 comments:

jman said...

Sorry to hear about the internet problems. I wonder if Time Warner Cable is in Austin as well!

Lucky duck with a trip to London. Did you know that the Millenium Bridge when it first opened started rocking because of the amount of foot traffic so they had to add some additional ballast to stabilize it? Makes it much more enjoyable. Funnily enough the last time I walked across it was the last time England was eliminated from the World Cup.

Hope you have a good time and the rest doesn't get to be too stressful.

grandad says said...

Our internet service is out too. Has been of and on for two weeks. Can't get timely service and after waiting over the w/e for the service call we now waited again over the w/e this week!
I took the modem in and changed it out and now we have intermittent internet.

Wow London and Basel in same week on business. How nice.

Anonymous said...

Nice Post! Love, M

Emily said...

jman: Yes, I did know that about the Millenium Bridge. Lucky for me it's perfectly stable now.

Grandad/Dad: It really hampers your abilities, doesn't it? Very frustrating. And yes, I feel very fortunate to be travelling here!

M: Thanks!